MAKE regular Shawn Thorsson, of Petaluma, CA, casts and paints these rather brilliant army man / lawn gnome mash-up figures in his home workshop. They are available in both painted and unpainted varieties in Shawn’s Etsy shop, and there’s also a Flickr set full of great in-process photos.

Sean Michael Ragan

I am descended from 5,000 generations of tool-using primates. Also, I went to college and stuff. I write for MAKE, serve as Technical Editor for MAKE magazine, and develop original DIY content for Make: Projects.

Comments

1. Vlad Iepure says:

i think they can look pretty scary in the night… :)))..

2. Kompani says:

It’s a very sad day when even gnomes have guns – only in America.

3. Kompani says:

It’s a very sad day when even gnomes have guns – only in America.

1. Or, you know, Brazil.  Or Canada.  Or India, Switzerland, Germany, or Austria.  Or the Czech Republic.  Or Italy.  Or, now that I think about it, pretty much anywhere since THIS IS A PLASTIC TOY WITH A 4″ PLASTIC GUN.

2. Or, you know, Brazil.  Or Canada.  Or India, Switzerland, Germany, or Austria.  Or the Czech Republic.  Or Italy.  Or, now that I think about it, pretty much anywhere since THIS IS A PLASTIC TOY WITH A 4″ PLASTIC GUN.

Blue hats vs. Red Hats.

Blue hats vs. Red Hats.

6. I’m pretty sure, if the Gnome had tits it wouldn’t be allowed - only in the USA.

1. Sorry, are you being sarcastic?  I can’t tell.  If so: HA!  If not:  HA!  (But with more of a scoffing inflection).

I want one

I want one

I want one

10. LeRoy Archer says:

not much of a gnome fan…..but these are cool!

11. maybe add a belt clip mounted knife too. love this design. could have a great laugh seein these in my garden, protecting from rabbits!..LOL

12. maybe add a belt clip mounted knife too. love this design. could have a great laugh seein these in my garden, protecting from rabbits!..LOL

13. Bokey DaBear says:

Y’know, the gnomes are wearing Liberty Caps… just like the one in the seal of the U.S. Senate.

14. Bokey DaBear says:

15. Dig it….as a combat Vet,and cartoonist, I wish I knew how to cast this stuff my self I’d be having ALL this stuff over my garden.(from Woodland in the other valley)

16. John Sheppard says:

Cute gnomes, but instead of the normal blue and red. Why don’t you
    put him in camouflage? Military or hunters would like that.
    JOHN