For those of you with an overwhelming desire to build your own subatomic particle accelerator, look no further than this Instructable by Xellers, which shows you how to convert a wine bottle into a cathode ray tube (CRT). Of course, that’s not all you need: other ingredients include a two-stage vacuum pump, a neon sign transformer, a high voltage microwave oven diode, and a few other parts that can be found at your local hardware store. Xellers doesn’t recommend running the tube for more than 40 seconds at a time, so unfortunately you’ll have to use a different method to build that needlessly complex (albeit really cool) reading light you’ve been dreaming up.

More:
The Cathode Ray Tube site, old electronic glassware…

Matt Richardson

Matt Richardson

Matt Richardson is a Brooklyn-based creative technologist, Contributing Editor at MAKE, and Resident Research Fellow at New York University’s Interactive Telecommunications Program (ITP). He’s the co-author of Getting Started with Raspberry Pi and the author of Getting Started with BeagleBone.

Comments

1. Timothy Gray says:

Wear a LOT of suntan lotion and UV goggles when doing this.  The guy is getting an incredible amount of UV radiation standing there videotaping it.

1. I think you’re confusing a Tesla coil spark gap with a gas discharge tube. Thankfully, the latter doesn’t produce any harmful radiation.

2. I think you’re confusing a Tesla coil spark gap with a gas discharge tube. Thankfully, the latter doesn’t produce any harmful radiation.

Nope. Timothy gray is correct. You can still get UV while the bottle is being evacuated.

A gas discharge tube generates plenty of electromagnetic radiation. He’d be getting X-rays too if his vacuum was any good.

2. Dave Brunker says:

I’m no expert in CRTs but I’d want to include a Geiger counter in the list of necessary tools.

3. Dave Brunker says:

I think the glow indicates there’s something in there that’s getting ionized. So it’s not a great vacuum, but very cool overall. This could inspire some neat follow-up projects. Good work!

5. Tim Dolan says:

Check out Spark bang buzz for another great home brew CRT as well as lots of other educational projects:

1. Ben Gregory says:

I got an iPad 2-32GB for $ 23.87 and my girlfriend loves her Panasonic Lumix GF 1 Camera that we got for $ 38.76 there arriving tomorrow by UPS. I will never pay such expensive retail prices in stores again. Especially when I also sold a 40 inch LED TV to my boss for $ 657 which only cost me $ 62.81 to buy. Here is the website we use to get it all from, http://x.co/Z9j7

2. Ben Gregory says:

6. FuturePhysicist says:

What happens if you keep it running for over 40 seconds?