Maker Robert Baruch posted this fun little ditty on Google+, “The Maker’s Bill of Rights,” in Latin. Why? Because everything sounds cooler in Latin.

FAS FABRICATORIBVS

* Indices significantes et certi partium includendi sunt.
* Tegimines facile aperire oportet.
* Pilas electricas reponi posse oportet.
* Instrumenta praecipua licent dumtaxat damnabiliter bona est ratio.
* Nefas est instrumentis pretiosis praecipuis vendendis lucrum facere, et nefas magis est instrumenta praecipua praesto esse non facere.
* Bonae sunt cochleae Torx; raro, securitatis.
* Non greges totos sed elementa reponi posse oportet.
* Partes consumendas, ut fusiles et cola, esse facile patentes oportet.
* Circuitús impressi annotandi sunt.
* Bonum est vim ex USB dare; malum, ex adaptatore praecipuo.
* Omnis coniunctio omnium connectatorum normae electricorum definienda est.
* Facile claudere, facile aperire.
* Cochleae melior quam glutenes.
* Documenta et programmaturas gubernandas nexum perpetuum habere et apud archive.org perpetuo poni oportet.
* Facile reparare esse exemplarem consilii, non cogitationem posteriorem oportet.
* Mensura metrica aut, non et, Anglica.
* Diagrammae electricae includendi sunt.

Click here for ye ol’ English version [PDF]

Gareth Branwyn

Gareth Branwyn is a freelancer writer and the former Editorial Director of Maker Media. He is the author or editor of a dozen books on technology, DIY, and geek culture, including the first book about the web (Mosaic Quick Tour) and the Absolute Beginner’s Guide to Building Robots. He is currently working on a best-of collection of his writing, called Borg Like Me.

Comments

http://x.vu/98487    But if shopping! I recommend here! This is perfect!

http://x.vu/98487   But if shopping! I recommend here! This is perfect!

3. Rahere says:

Reminds me of the dedication of the lift outside the Vatican Post Office. Some quibbles:
    In perpetuo in #14, surely?
    I think I prefer Imperiale in #15. “Standard” is Metric in most of Europe, so it improves on the original. It might be thought Imperial could refer to other empires as well, but none in our domain ever standardised screw sizes.

I just paíd $20.87 for an íPad 2.64GB and my boyfriend loves his Panasoníc Lumíx GF 1 Cámera that we got for $38.79 there arriving tomorrow by UP S.I will never pay such expensive retail príces in stores again. Especially when I also sold a 40 inch LCD T V to my boss for $657 which only cost me $62.81 to buy.
      Here is the website we use to get it all from : http://BidsBit.com

4. NotValid says:

It always strikes me that every time I read this it reads more like a maker’s bill of responsibilities… :-)

5. NotValid says:

6. Replace Metric or Standard with Standard or Non-metric :-)

7. Replace Metric or Standard with Standard or Non-metric :-)

8. Replace Metric or Standard with Standard or Non-metric :-)

Here is the website we use to get it all from :   http://BidsBit.com

10.  Ah, my Latin’s a bit rusty, but I’m pretty sure this is an invocation of Shub-Niggurath.  If this post gets more than 666,666 pageviews before the autumnal equinox our plane of existence may be in for a rough winter.