Check out this rather clever Instructable by harari, who used RJ-45 plugs and jacks to create a wonderfully geeky wall-mounted key organization system. [via Lifehacker]

Matt Richardson

Matt Richardson

Matt Richardson is a Brooklyn-based creative technologist, Contributing Editor at MAKE, and Resident Research Fellow at New York University’s Interactive Telecommunications Program (ITP). He’s the co-author of Getting Started with Raspberry Pi and the author of Getting Started with BeagleBone.

Comments

I just paíd $20.87 for an íPad 2.64GB and my boyfriend loves his Panasoníc Lumíx GF 1 Cámera that we got for $38.79 there arriving tomorrow by UP S.I will never pay such expensive retail príces in stores again. Especially when I also sold a 40 inch LCD T V to my boss for $657 which only cost me $62.81 to buy.
    Here is the website we use to get it all from : http://BidsBit.com

2. A real geek would use a patch panel, but this is still creative.

3. JackANSI says:

Would be great in the office for the IT closet keys.  Could tie in with a Arduino and Ethernet Sheild to notify which key was taken when, and if it wasn’t returned within a certain amount of time :)  Use an RFID badge to disable an alarm and to “check out” a key.

What an awesome idea.

4. stevepoling says:

Use USB instead of RJ-45 to accommodate key chain thumb drives

5. stevepoling says:

Use USB instead of RJ-45 to accommodate key chain thumb drives

6. Adric says:

if you used a old switch, and made the plug into a loopback,  you could have the lights go out when the key is missing.

7. Adric says:

8. Adric says:

9. orvtech says:

Awesome idea! would love to see something more refined for home use

This would work really.. really.. well with this idea:

Here is the website we use to get it all from :   http://BidsBit.com

12. Ellis Benus says: