My first attempt at injection molding with PETE plastic (Mountain Dew bottles). The molded part is the shape of a fishing lure (crankbait). This type of fishing lure needs to have a buoyant body to keep it upright in the water. The PETE plastic used in the video is more dense than water so it is not a functional lure.

Home Plastic Injection Molding

John Baichtal

My interests include writing, electronics, RPGs, scifi, hackers & hackerspaces, 3D printing, building sets & toys. @johnbaichtal nerdage.net

Comments

1. Someone needs to start a MakerBot-IPM company. While 3D printing is great, there are some things for which injection plastic molding are much more suited.

2. Ryan says:

very impressive setup for the small shop! i need one.

3. JanA says:

That’s a pretty impressive project from plastic bottles… :)))

4. Hyrum says:

great work! if you want a machine that is still small but capable of making a part every few seconds you should buy the machine I have on ebay.

5. Interesting video.

I would give you 10 out of 10 for your first attempt at injection molding with PETE plastic. I truly believe that your future attempts would give you more success.

I would also say that this shared set up is an impressive setup for the small shop!

6. Sarah Kirby says:

Seems like an interesting video. I would like to point that prototype injection molding is the next best thing for companies that do not want to spend too much in production.

7. Heather says:

This is a very helpful post for the plastic molding, i hope this is really helps me to complete my project.

8. TonyWilson says:

Very well explained! It is going to be very useful especially for the first time users.