When Krys Lefler sent in her 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, I was instantly enamored. First of all, she is hilarious – look for the photo of Paula Deen riding a chicken if you don’t believe me. But beyond that, you can tell from reading her blog that she crafts for all the right reasons.
One Project You Are Particularly Proud Of
1. My Wilma magazine shoot with yarnbombing (October issue pics on mah Flickr)!
Two Mistakes You’ve Made in the Past
1. Watching a movie or Star Trek:TNG whilst crafting. I have messed up more things and wounded myself by watching Picard and the gang … I now make mood craft CDs to make stuff to!
2. Turning the computer on … Facebook, Craftzine, Angry Birds, Offbeat Home … next thing you know, the day is gone and I still gotta make dinner. No projects done! Darn ADHD…
Three Things That Make Your Work Unique
1. My process. My microchet jewelry is probably not a new idea, but I have a “permanence” process to make these your fav earrings.
2. Funky picky bone. I love ironic things and random kitsch … certain colors attract me (70s palettes!), certain prints make me happy when I am creating, and certain textures make me purr like a kitten!
3. There is no way to speed up the process. I revel in making things and hate “mass productivity.” There is no replacement for the quality of handmade!
Four Tools You Love to Use
1. My crochet hooks. I have some ChiaGoo bamboo hooks, random aluminium hooks, chunky acrylic, and old porcelain coated metal hooks from England. They have all been handpicked and I heart them all!
2. My boyfriend’s drafting table. It lights up!
3. Fiskars ergonomic scissors! They need a sharpening now, but my wrist LOVES them!
4. Tag punches from Marvy Uchida. Mine are now five years old and I have two sizes so I can make my own price/gift tags and earring cards. They are troopers!
1. My craft library. Vintage sewing/crochet magazines; patterns from the 50s; ReadyMade and old CRAFT issues; modern craft books from Debbie Stoller, Kathy Cano Murillo, Jenny Hart and my craft hero, Mark Montano … Also my three-ring binder of crochet take-its from craft stores, handwritten diagrams, and printed patterns from Ravelry .
2. My mom. We both suffer from attention-deficit crafting diso – ohhh glitter! – syndrome. We will craft or sew ANYTHING! She is my “crafty dealer.”
3. Senses: certain things just feel right … Yarn is like that. Fabric and metals, too! Feeling it, seeing it, and yes, smelling it … (Crayola has a zen-like way of getting me calm. Smell a box of Crayolas. You’ll see.)
4. The mall. What better way to combat the retail cesspool than to get ideas and make it yourself!?
5. My Crafty Bitches group. Me and 4 of my pals making dinner and crafting it up to de-stress and make cool stuff! It is an exclusive group, ha ha! Start one yourself!
5, 4, 3, 2, 1 Things About Krys Lefler