The revolution will be automated! Gone are the days when you’d have to practice drawing big letters legibly with a rattle can in order to get your message across. Thanks to the folks at Graffiti Research Lab France, you need only walk along the perimeter wall with your finger on the button of their spray paint graffiti printer. [via PSFK]

Adam Flaherty

I make cool stuff and write about other people making cool stuff on makezine.com. If you have something you think I should see, send me a tip.

Comments

1. Peter Simpson says:

Next step: some scheme to measure distance, so uniform dot size doesn’t depend on your walking speed.

That’s an interesting idea, but what about your own personal style? That’s what graffiti is all about, leaving your own personal mark on the world. I suppose they can develop that as they go along.

Good point! I’m an engineer, not an artist, so I tend to miss creative details like that :-)
      Let’s add a switch to turn off “precision mode” for when you feel like being creative!

I’ll probably get banned for this:
        Does it do Comic Sans?

1. Java says:

Comic Sans requires “hardcore tagger skillz” to be able to use it… They’re contribution to society is almost as welcome as Comic Sans.

3. I’ve never understood why Make: constantly covers these various graffiti tools. You know, since graffiti is illegal and all, and it encourages illegal behavior. Just seems kinda irresponsible to me.

It’s a technology. How you use it is up to you. In DC, several galleries have gotten permission from the owners of the buildings in the alleys behind them and have had artists paint the walls. It’s not illegal if you get permission.

2. Have you seen how much a Banksy, Invader, or Shepard Fairey goes for these days? Srsly, though, Gareth’s right, it’s just technology. You either get it or you don’t (and it’s OK if you don’t). Personally, I find your comment to be rather flattering. Thanks! Anytime I can get someone to leave a “you’ll put an eye out” comment means I’m doing my job right.

4. that’s quite interesting actually!