My spin of the Secret Santa wheel placed MAKE’s art director, Jason Babler, squarely within my gift-giving crosshairs. Having never officially met Jason in corporeal meatspace, I was a bit stumped as to what material item he might enjoy owning. Thankfully, a little bird (named Gareth) clued me in on Mr. Babler’s appreciation of fantasy-themed resin kits.

I have fond memories of painting teensy details on Warhammer 40,000 miniatures back in the day – particularly the garish color schemes made plausible by the Eldar Harlequin troupe. So in the great Secret Santa tradition of giving someone something that you really probably want more than them, I present to you, Jason, the Harlequin Death Jester and Harlequin Shadowseer Citadel Finecast model kits. Paint them with pride… and a really tiny brush!

Harlequins

Collin Cunningham

Born, drew a lot, made video, made music on 4-track, then computer, more songwriting, met future wife, went to art school for video major, made websites, toured in a band, worked as web media tech, discovered electronics, taught myself electronics, blogged about DIY electronics, made web videos about electronics and made music for them … and I still do!

Comments

1. Stefan Jones says:

Sweet Jebus, those paint jobs are lovely.

2. Gareth Branwyn says:

And these are done in the new Finecast resin. GW is now using this type of resin to replace all of their previously metal-cast figures. For those who have built Forgeworld resin, it’s very different from that. The detail is amazing, much better than the metal counterparts, and the models are really lightweight. You can see a pretty good video overview of Finecast here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXOafeN2TxU

3. Rob Colby says:

I’m going out to play my first WH 40k game today.  :)

1. Gareth Branwyn says:

What are a fielding, Rob? Tell us about it. How many points? Who are playing against? Did you win? (if you’re reading this after).

1. Rob Colby says:

Fielding Orks, partly because the guy who got me into it handed me a bunch of Boyz and partly cause I can cut things up and smoosh them together to get stuff on the table looking different. We only played with 1,000 points cause that’s all I had at the time. Well, actually I only had about 800, but I took useless things to get me up there, does anyone actually use the stick bombs? I went against his Chaos and thoroughly trounced him. Or at least that’s how I chose to remember it. I did win, but by in large cause he was teaching me to play as opposed to trying to beat me. Since then my army has grown. I have a Warboss with Demon Prince arms, a Doc Grot I built from a Boy and misc parts from various Ork and Chaos bits, some Mega-Nobs smashed together from Nobs and the Termies from the DV set, and working on a Zagstruk built from parts of a Pain Boy and the special figure from the DV set with some Tau feet thing that I’m not sure what their from. Also recently got some ‘Nid parts that I’m applying to some Boyz with the Marine packs from the DV set to make Storm Boyz who have needed limbs replaced. Doc Grot is quite busy in my army. :D

4. Juan Navarro says:

Ack, these articles are taking me back. I was already looking at my Imperial Guard Army again!

5. Jason Babler says:

Collin, you know me so well! I do love resin kits sumpin’ fierce! Best Xmas ever!