Impressive feat from Ken over at Instructables, who writes:

All up it took me 10 months of Sundays, from the time I decided to start to finished product. I had never made a violin before, and my carbon fibre skills were below basic. It was a huge learning curve but between the info on the net and getting your hands dirty and “givin it a go,” anything is possible.

He laid up all the parts himself from loose carbon fiber cloth, into molds of his own manufacture, using a vacuum bag to apply the resin. A large number of his early plates were rejected for poor tone, as judged by a simple “tap” test.

More:

Sean Michael Ragan

I am descended from 5,000 generations of tool-using primates. Also, I went to college and stuff. I write for MAKE, serve as Technical Editor for MAKE magazine, and develop original DIY content for Make: Projects.

Comments

1. I’m thinking next up would be a carbon fiber acoustic guitar.

1. Mike Smith says:

I’m surprised Ovation doesn’t already make one.  Then again, they may not feel the need to, since they already use composite materials (glass fiber in resin, rather than carbon).

2. William Crawford says:

I wish he had recorded how it sounds when played.  I find it interesting that all the players he handed it to loved it, and wanted to buy it!

3. Ben Argyle says:

Perfect for a little light music.

4. Mingjane Wu says:

I can see something like this as a big hit among parents and teachers who’ve had to replace broken instruments.

That is, among schools that even have a stringed instrument program.

5. Milan Balogh says:

I’d love to hear it played..  really curious.

6. Joey Alvey says:

Personally, I just love how he decided to build a violin out of CF with no prior experience of building violins or working with CF. It just goes to show how wonderful the internet can truly be when coupled with an idea.

7. Jonathan Katz says: