TX/RX member Stephen Cameron built this beautiful Cyclekart, a grown-up version of the go-kart designed to look like a race car from the 1920s. It’s powered by a 6.5 HP, 4-stroke engine and packs a disc brake. [Thanks, Rex!]

John Baichtal

My interests include writing, electronics, RPGs, scifi, hackers & hackerspaces, 3D printing, building sets & toys. @johnbaichtal nerdage.net

Comments

1. Simon Jansen says:

Nice! I was always interested in cyclekarts and looked at building one. In the end though I went for a real small car, a 1938 Austin 7. All the fun of designing and building my own body (steel tube frame, hand beaten and eventually gas welded aluminium skin) 1930s style race car that will be fully road legal when I am done.

I think the cyclekart chaps deliberately limit the dimensions and engine sizes so people don’t end up just building Austin 7 type things! Designing a car that looks right is actually a tricky thing to do well. Getting the balance of function, engineering and aesthetics right. I think the cyclekarts are a great project for learning how to do this.

1. Gareth Branwyn says:

Simon,

Do you have images of that build? We would LOVE to see ‘em. My email is gareth at makezine.com.

1. Simon Jansen says:

Gareth, I sent you an email.

2. been following the cycle carts on yahoo groups — i thought make had posted this a long time ago
    check out the group they have some great cyclecarts!!

been planning mine for over a year and slowly finding parts — another project to work on!!!

3. Stephen Cameron says:

Here’s what it looks like as of Dec 10, 2011:

4. Rick Brasche says:

a boattail speedster that’s affordable. Beautiful!

Now is the time to win

6. david says:

Hey if you are looking to build and discuss CYCLEKARTS head over to http://WWW.CYCLEKARTCLUB.COM forum group.