Sweet find by our own Rachel Hobson over on National Geographic:  A zoomable high-resolution panorama of Discovery’s flight deck, by photographer Jon Brack.  I swear I’ve found at least one stripped screw head. [Thanks, Rachel!]

Space Shuttle in Extreme Detail

Sean Michael Ragan

I am descended from 5,000 generations of tool-using primates. Also, I went to college and stuff. I write for MAKE, serve as Technical Editor for MAKE magazine, and develop original DIY content for Make: Projects.

Comments

1. Hendry says:

What’s this??? a link back to the author’s site??? I’m calling BS on this. Provide the link back to NatGeo!!!

1. Sean Ragan says:

Woops! Not BS, really, but an honest mistake. Thanks for catching it!

1. Hendry says:

LOL Sean! I knew it wasn’t really BS… but I got your attention :)

2. jim says:

right-click: “WARNING All content is protected by copyright and may not be downloaded or copied. Please contact us about your usage rights”

So I’m violating copyright by viewing (and therefore downloading) the images? Oh no, I guess I better clear my browser cache or I’ll have a civil suit on my hands!

Cool pics, but that’s a little archaic, not to mention annoying. If you’re that concerned then watermark your images.

1. Sean Ragan says:

Yeah, be sure to click through to the National Geographic link to see the panning version:

I wanted to credit the photographer with a link, but his site is not the money link.

3. spearna says:

I worked on the Space Shuttle program and the item highlighted in the picture up top is a port for a fire extinguisher. It allows the astronaut to put out fires behind paneling.

4. cancerouspete says:

awesome! its too bad the computer displays are just computer printouts, though they looked a little funny : )

Thanks spearna, i was wondering what those were

5. zof says:

I wonder how much stock nasa owns in velcro

6. awasson says:

@zof: I believe Velcro was invented by a NASA guy so they probably own a lot of stock in it.

1. Rich says:

Velcro was invented by George de Mestral, a Swiss engineer many years before Nasa was founded. However, NASA’s extensive use of it in the 1960s did popularise it in the USA, and it started to become more common in consumer items after that. European skiwear manufacturers had been using it for some time before that though.