Oh, heck yeah! [Spotted on Facebook]

Gareth Branwyn

Gareth Branwyn

Gareth Branwyn is a freelancer writer and the former Editorial Director of Maker Media. He is the author or editor of over a dozen books on technology, DIY, and geek culture. He is currently a contributor for Boing Boing and WINK Books. And he has a new best-of writing collection and “lazy man’s memoir,” called Borg Like Me.

35 Responses to How-To: Make a Chocolate Bowl Using a Balloon

Your Thoughts?

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

1. Oh My GOD! I’m totally going to do that! I hope I can make it resistant enough to keep something in it! I could use it as a bowl on a plate to put strawberries in it! I know it will sound woman-like but: Kitchen, here I come!

2. chartle on said:

Since there doesn’t appear to be words.

On step 6 you should carefully deflate the balloon not pop it. Popping could break the bowl. It looks like they taped the balloon to the bowl so if you poke it through the tape it shouldn’t pop.

• hurlebaus on said:

Hi Chartle….
      please it is not with MAKE — I only want to know, how you made your “Avatar”….
      Please give me an answer!

3. gjkglfdjgkldfjl on said:

but how do you make it stand? that’s not really clear.

4. Wilson! on said:

It’s all fun and games until you use this to serve someone with a Latex allergy…

• Sandy on said:

My first thought too! So many people are allergic to latex. Make sure you tell your guests before they eat it! Rashes or worse on the inside of the body would be very bad.

• For those concerned with latex, try wrapping the balloon in plastic wrap before pouring the chocolate. It may also add some interesting design to the inside of the bowl.

• BH
          Good idea!! Besides, wouldn’t the hot chocolate pop/melt/’pit’ the balloon if cellophane or ‘waxed paper’ (for cooking) wasn’t wrapping/ covering the balloon before the hot melted chocolate was poured onto the balloon (‘before’ the actually pouring of the chocolate)?! Specially made Waxed Paper, that is used to line metal cookie trays, could wrap the balloon, too. One may purchase this item at most grocery stores &/or crafts’ specialty stores, like ‘Michaels’ ‘.

5. What chocolate do you recommend for this? I would love to do this but I don’t know anything about melting chocolate.

6. Temper your chocolate by melting it in the microwave, slowly, to 45C, then drop it to 27C, stirring to form usable crystals in the cocoa butter (this is done by working it on marble by professional chocolatiers, who look for the thickening as it cools, but that’s not absolutely necessary), before finally raising it to 31C to leave just those crystals which form a glossy, stable chocolate. These temperatures are fairly precise

7. rahere on said:

For a beginner, use street-quality chocolate, as it’s got a lot of cocoa butter in it (white chocolate is almost entirely cocoa butter and sugar). The reason chocolatiers use marble is because they use high cocoa content (ie low cocoa butter) which makes crystallisation a sensitive issue. But for a bowl which will hopefully be noshed inside of 24 hours, this will be fine. The reason for tempering the chocolate is that untempered chocolate will crumble, and lack sheen.

8. P. Almonius on said:

Does the chocolate pick up any taste from the balloon?

9. Pingback: How-To: Chocolate Bowl With Strawberries @Craftzine.com blog

10. Pingback: Das Kraftfuttermischwerk » Wie man eine Schüssel aus Schokolade macht

11. Pingback: How To make Chocolate Bowls - Nerdcore

12. Damien on said:

I would do the exact same as above but cover the balloon in clingwrap to avoid the latex and other balloon issues.

Can’t wait to try this!

13. Pingback: MAKE | Your Comments

14. Pingback: Chokladskål « Fokis

15. Pingback: KunstKulturLifestyle » Blog Archiv » Eine Schockladenschüssel mit Hilfe eines Luftballons

16. please give me the detailed description.
    I had a flop show last night.

• hurlebaus on said:

Hello – it is not with Make —
      but please can you say me, how you made your Avatar….
      Please give me response to gerd.schenk at freenet.de

17. Pingback: Chocolate Bowl | To Nom or Not to Nom

18. Pingback: Event-Deko Ideen: Schokoladenschale mithilfe eines Luftballons selber machen | eveosblog | Blog für Event, Marketing & Social-Media

19. Pingback: Chocolate bowl « B R O O K L Y N ・ B E N T O : not just lunches

20. Pingback: DIY: cuencos de chocolate caseros

21. Pingback: Guest Posts Feature Coming Tomorrow « Little Purple Stocking

22. Pingback: How TO: 빈 우유병으로 쓰레받기 만들기 | Make: Korea

23. How-Not-To: Make a Chocolate Bowl Using a Balloon

24. Tara Lidell on said:

I love that!! I would never have thought about using a balloon to make a chocolate bowl! This will be a good project for my niece and I! Thank you, Tara Lidell

25. Pingback: LinkLove: September | me he perdido

26. Nechama Brooks on said:

Cool! Thank you!

27. Pingback: All About The Packaging: Chocolate Bowl With Strawberries | Celebrate the Big & Small

Related Supplies at Maker Shed