20120729-185920.jpg

Here’s the gig. You’re 13. You set up a table to teach others how to create survival bracelets. You say that a bracelet might come in handy in an emergency, such as when you go camping. You charge money for the bracelet and then you show your buyers how to make them. It happens that mothers pay you for the bracelet and you teach their daughters to weave the bracelet. This is a plan that works well on so many levels.

20120729-185932.jpg

Congratulations, Will. Your plan for Maker Faire Detroit worked like a charm.

Dale Dougherty

I’m founder of MAKE magazine and creator of Maker Faire. I am CEO of Maker Media, the company that produces MAKE, Maker Faire and Maker Shed. I am Chairman of the Maker Education Initiative (www.makered.org).

Comments

1. Keith says:

I don’t quite get it. What is on or in the bracelets to make them survival bracelets?

1. They are made from quite a bit of paracord. Handy stuff.

2. vcelloho says:

They can be uncoiled to be used as rope

3. brssnkl says:

They are just paracord bracelets, and I like them but Keith is right. They are not survival bracelets.

4. Andrew says:

No, they aren’t “survival bracelets”. But the paracord can be used in a “survival situation, and that is the basic idea. If you need some paracord, then you have 10-15ft of it at your disposal.

5. Joz Jonlin says:

I guess that depends on your definition of survival. I usually carry various knives and multitools with wherever I go, but they don’t necessarily have a “survival” label attached. We have four of these bracelets in my family of four. There is an area up by the clip you can cut to unravel the bracelet which leaves you with a long cord. With most paracord having a breaking strength of over 500 lbs, you now have a cord which can be used in an amazing amount of survival situations.

6. Rob Broda says:

I too love the idea. I bought all the spools for my daughter. Then we decided to share the craft with others so we started a web site and put all different colors in a package with the instructions and buckles to make them. It is lots of fun and we enjoy helping others learn to make them. We also have started a cool list of uses some are not what you would expect
    If you like please take a look at our web sites http://www.survivalbraceletkits.com and http://www.makeaparacordbracelet.com Thanks Rob