TechShop, the membership-based DIY workshop with five locations around the country, has announced an academic partnership with Arizona State University and will open a new TechShop in Chandler, AZ later this year. Chandler is about 20 miles southeast of Phoenix and its Chandler Innovation Center includes a city-funded technology incubator and Arizona State’s College of Technology and Innovation, which has more than 3,000 students. Students taking classes at the Center will be offered free memberships at the new TechShop and discounted memberships will be offered to other students and faculty. An announcement said that classrooms not in use by the college will be available for TechShop programs.

TechShop will also open new locations in Pittsburgh and the Washington, DC area later this year, thanks to a partnership with the Department of Veterans Affairs and DARPA, the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency. 2,000 one-year memberships at TechShop will be given to American veterans. A TechShop is also in the works for Brooklyn, NY, slated to open in the winter or next spring.

Jon Kalish

Jon Kalish is a Manhattan-based radio reporter, podcast producer and newspaper writer. He’s reported for NPR for more than 30 years.

Comments

1. Andrew Mace says:

I want one in Jacksonville

2. this is great thanks and good luck

3. Wayne says:

Yes! Now I have one near me! I starting to seriously consider getting funding to open a center like TechShop in the Valley.

4. Dave says:

As great as this sounds, it almost seems like a walmart moving in to take over the local hackerspaces. I hope they work with the local hackerspaces and not against them.

1. Jake says:

I have to say I really dislike comments like this. The presence of TechShop in a community has not closed any hacker spaces that I am aware of. The Hackerspaces here in the Bay Area are thriving and have large membership numbers. I am baffled by folks feelings towards TechShop. They are not a large corporation moving in a destroying companies. Why does the fact that TechShop has more than one location make it a threat or evil?

Is not the goal of MAKE, Hackerspaces, and TechShop the same? TechShop offers a place for people to make. There are more than enough makers in a community to support many more Hackerspaces. I hope that the introduction of TechShop into Chandler increases awareness and the two can partner and send folks to each other when the needs of the individual are not met by their location.

Good luck to both I say.

5. Paul says:

They should come to LIC not Brooklyn. It’s much closer to what will be the new Cornell engineering campus and it taps a market that’s not already served by 3rd Ward and NYCResistor.

6. DarkStar says:

We need them back in Portland!

7. Joe Bob says:

I want a lower membership cost.!!!

8. I wish this was more centralized; I live in the west valley so getting to Chandler, while not impossible, isn’t exactly on my “to-do” list either. It’s the same thing with trying to go to HeatSync. It feels like nobody cares about makers in the west or central Phoenix areas (on a similar note, for some reason when I was recently job searching, it seemed like all the software dev jobs were in the east valley area, too). I would have really liked to see something like this pop up in central Phoenix – perhaps in the grittier industrial area around the Grand Ave/7th Ave area…oh well. Best of luck to them; maybe somehow I’ll find a way over there.

9. Jose Miraflor says:

They are opening in Chandler because it is close to their partner ASU.