Join MAKE founder Dale Dougherty and Maker Education Initiative Executive Director AnnMarie Thomas tomorrow, Jan.10, at 2pm PST for a Google+ Hangout on Air discussion of “making as learning.”
Makers are, almost by definition, good learners. They have creative goals and develop technical skills to make ideas real. Dale and AnnMarie will talk about how we can engage more young people as makers. They’ll discuss the goals of the Maker Education Initiative, still in its first year, and meet members of its team. They’ll also look at how we explain the educational value of making and talk about ways of creating more opportunities for nurturing young makers in our communities.
Joining Dale and AnnMarie will be Andreas Kaiser from Pittsburg High School and Barry Scott from The Da Vinci Center.
Key question in the discussion will include:
- What is the educational value of making for K-12 students?
- How do we know kids are learning while they are making?
- What opportunities for making can makerspaces provide in a school context?
- Is project-based learning the same as making? How is making different?
- How can you teach making effectively?
- What can parents do to support the development of young makers?
Tune in right here Jan. 10 at 2pm PST to watch the live hangout and to post your comments and questions.