makezine_webtheme3-wednesday

Our friends at Dark Rye, an online magazine from Whole Foods, have come up with a project for turning a wooden crate into a retro bike cargo box. It’s a simple, but useful bike mod. The project comes from Dark Rye’s latest “Future” issue. It’s a great read featuring forward-looking innovators in architecture, urban agriculture, energy production, and transportation.

Stett Holbrook

Stett is a senior editor at MAKE with abiding interest in food and drink, bicycles, woodworking, and environmentally sound human enterprises. He is the father of two young makers.

He is also the co-creator of Food Forward, a documentary TV series for PBS about the innovators and pioneers changing our food system.

Contact Stett with tips and story ideas on:

*Food
*Sustainable/green design
*Science
*Young Makers
*Action sports

Comments

1. Scott. says:

Cool idea. I’ve got one on my ’69 Schwinn, it’s not very sturdy, just a produce crate that came from a farmer’s market years ago. But it works well enough for what I need it for. I was maybe 14 when I got the idea for it. My dad cut down the crate a few inches and attached it to a bike rack. It’s served me well. Here’s a photo of the bike: http://www.flickr.com/photos/lungstruck/5587321036/

2. Ozmotear says:

A milk crate would be a better choice for something like this. It would hold up far better to the elements, is much lighter than a nice wooden box, and it is less likely to be stolen.

This also screams of Hipsterism. Save the wood crate for a window planter.

1. Alan Dove says:

It’s from a magazine published by Whole Foods. They know their audience.

1. Trav says:

Yep, even the slides are very Hipster

3. ka1axy says:

Two suggestions:
    - use “elastic stop nuts” or thread locker (“Loctite”) instead of double nuts
    - she really should tie back her long hair before using power tools (photo 5)

4. Alan Dove says:

My wife did this with a cheap (but nice-looking) wicker basket from Pier One. The basket has a buckle-down lid to keep stuff inside, and cable-tying the wicker to the luggage rack took all of five minutes.

5. ka1axy says:

Maybe put another plate on the inside of the box, to distribute the force from the bolt heads?

6. Bill Meara says:

I think it looks cooler than it is. I tried it. I found that is seriously unbalances the bike. It also makes it much harder to get on and get off. I went back to a backpack. Too bad. I liked the look of the milk crate and bungie cords.

7. luther parker says:

I put a wooden crate from patatans craft store on my 1982 concorde and
    could’nt be happier, very light,get’s a lot of looks and only cost 9.99.
    Give it a try.