Today’s 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 features Duo Fiberworks. I hope you read this piece carefully, because the answers are great. I actually think that one of the mistakes mentioned is hugely inspirational. Anyone who has ever felt insecure about their work should read it, and take it to heart. And who doesn’t love a crafter that lists a carriage bike and jigsaw as some of their favorite tools?
One Project You Are Particularly Proud Of
1. I’m on the cusp of a new big project, the biggest I’ve done, and I’m very proud to be working on it. I just can’t talk about it yet. (How obnoxiously coy, I know, but it’s true!)
Two Mistakes You’ve Made in the Past
2. Assuming that the success of others leaves no room for my success.
3. Wating too long to buy a decent camera. I love my Canon T1i.
Three Things That Make Your Work Unique
1. I mostly design knitting patterns for small, felted projects. I’m not really interested in making garments. I love the technical aspect of constructing the shaping so a knitted object felts perfectly to shape during felting. The alchemical aspect of felting never gets old.
2. I don’t pigeonhole the creative work I do: knitting, construction, leatherwork, wood carving, it’s all fair game.
3. My work is all about the challenge of figuring out something new, then moving on to another problem to solve, one more puzzle to work out. Sometimes I want to change this part of me, but mostly I appreciate the curiousity and drive.
Four Tools You Love to Use
1. My imac.
2. My carving knife.
3. My Brittany size 10 1/2 double pointed knitting needles.
4. My bike.
5. My jigsaw.
1. My family’s farm.
2. My small town.
3. My clever, talented friends, sisters and mom.
4. Time to myself.
5.Thrift shop visits.