When I found this 5,4,3,2,1 submission in my inbox, I lit up, and I am sure you will too after reading about Hurley Winkler. One goal she has for herself in 2012 is to start a blog, and I cannot encourage her enough. Plainly stated, the world needs more imaginary kittens, hot pink converse, and Reggae Pizza hats!
One Project You Are Particularly Proud Of:
1. I’m always the most proud of whatever I am working on at the moment. Currently, I am knitting a reggae pizza hat for my boyfriend. I am nearly finished, simply adding the finishing touch: knitted dreadlocks.
Two Mistakes You’ve Made in the Past:
1. Being afraid of trying new things. I should always be willing to add some sparkle to my crafts with new methods.
2. Thinking that I am too young or not knowledgeable enough to start a craft blog. The craft world is so open and welcoming… I need to take advantage of that in 2012 by joining in with a blog!
Three Things That Make Your Work Unique:
1. I knit in my tiny dorm at the University of North Florida.
2. I like waking up at the crack of dawn to knit for a while before taking on the
responsibilities of the day. Most college students find it a bit strange that I am such a morning person.
3. While I knit, I pretend that there is a precious kitten playing with my yarn on the ground. Pathetic, I know.
Four Tools You Love To Use:
1. Jumbo pom pom makers. I think pom poms are the sickest things ever. They should be added to everything in the world.
2. Waverly by Bernat brand yarn. The yarn is extremely soft and the colors are absolutely lovely. I constantly find myself cuddling up to the yarn instead of knitting.
3. Lantern Moon needle cases. I treated myself to one on a November visit to Knit Culture Studio in Los Angeles. They are gorgeous and I want every fiber artist in the world to own one.
4. Lion Brand Thick ‘n’ Quick yarn. I used it all the time when I first started knitting. I always recommend it to new knitters because a nice scarf can be thrown together quickly with a skein of Thick ‘n’ Quick and 9 mm needles. Instant gratification is encouraging!
1. Amy Karol. Her blog, Angry Chicken, is my favorite blog in the great big Cyberian world. Not only does she inspire me in a crafty sense, but she really makes me want to be a mother someday. I save links from her site everyday.
2. Becky Stern. She takes a unique approach to crafting and she just seems like a cool, smart, easy-going chick. I’m a bit obsessed with her emission spectrum scarves.
3. Several musicians keep me stitchin’ away: Wilco, Sufjan Stevens, Radical Face, and Belle & Sebastian.
4. My best friend, Zoie. She is constantly creating amazing things and does a great job with pushing herself to be creative.
5. My boyfriend, Alex. He thinks crafting is cool and always seems interested in whatever I am working on at the moment. He encourages me to try new things and he’s always up for a trip to the craft store… swoon!