I’ll admit it — I got into drinking Cosmopolitans because of the TV show, Sex and the City. Before that, I was happy to order a Sea Breeze, or even just a Cranberry-and-Vodka. But after a few episodes of watching Carrie and her ladies, I moved on to the harder stuff. They always looked so confident holding their Cosmos. They were all so perfectly dressed, their hair perfectly coiffed. They were fabulous and having a fabulous time. I gotta get me some of that! I could lie on my couch in my grubbiest pajamas, my hair a big mess, heck, even with an avocado mask on my face, but I still felt stylish and fabulous when I drank my Cosmo and watched the show. When I lived in New Zealand, Sex and the City aired once a week on regular cable, so some lady friends and I got into the habit of making Cosmopolitans and watching the show together, every week. It was a perfect end to a long day. I strongly encourage you to invite a few girlfriends over and host your own Cosmo Clache! The Classic Cosmopolitan Ingredients and Utensils Vodka Higher end brands are better. Something like Stoli always works well. Cranberry juice You want sweetened, cocktail-type juice, not just pure cranberry. Cointreau You can substitute Triple Sec or Gran Marnier, but it won’t be quite as good. Really. Limes or the juice of several limes. Some people prefer lemons and lemon juice. I’ve been known to use whichever I had in my house. Ice For shaking up your Cosmo. Shot glass Martini drinking glass Stick the glass in the freezer while you mix up the Cosmo. Chilled glasses are a nice touch. Cocktail shaker Juicer Garnish (optional) Lemon or lime peels cut into small curls work nicely. Directions
- Fill your cocktail shaker halfway to two-thirds full of ice.
- Add 2 shots of vodka to the shaker.
- Add 2-4 shots of cranberry juice to the shaker. You’ll have to experiment with different amounts to find the taste that you love.
- Add 1 shot of lime juice to the shaker.
- Add 1 shot of Cointreau to the shaker.
- Put the lid on the shaker and shake the drink vigorously for 20 to 30 seconds.
- Retrieve a martini glass from the freezer.
- Slowly pour the shaken Cosmo into the glass, stopping just below the rim.
- Garnish, if desired.
Now, take a small sip and savor your drink. And savor your mad mixicology skills. Savor your fabulous friends. And savor yourself, because you’re perfect!