Me, My Scarf, and I Contest
Contest Description & Official Rules
CRAFT and SINGER® present the Me, My Scarf, and I Contest. Fall is upon us, and what better accessory than a scarf! We invite all of our crafty readers to participate and create a sewn scarf that best describes your personality! All entries must have some portion created using a sewing machine.
The Me, My Scarf, and I Contest will run for 6 weeks, and the Prize winners will be announced by Monday, November 30th. Deadline for entries is 11:59 p.m. PDT November 23, 2009. Each entry will be judged based on the following criteria: creativity of design, description of how the scarf represents the creator, and the use of a sewing machine in the creation process. Please see Official Rules for more information on the Winner selection.
To submit an entry, simply take a picture of yourself wearing your scarf, include a description of how the scarf describes your personality, and submit it to the Me, My Scarf, and I Contest Flickr Group.
If you're joining in on the contest, here's the code for the badge to display on your site or blog.
<a href="http://www.flickr.com/groups/1229922@N20/"><img src="http://cdn.makezine.com/make/craft/badge_singer_scarfcontest.gif" width="150" height="144" border="0" alt="CRAFT: Singer Contest - Me, My Scarf, and I" /></a>
This promotion is intended for play and participation in the United States only and shall be construed and evaluated according to the laws of the United States. Please do not participate if you are not a legal resident of the United States and located in the United States at the time of entry.
Important: Please read these rules before entering the Me, My Scarf, and I Contest (the "Contest") sponsored by CRAFT and SINGER (the “Sponsors”). By submitting your project to the contest flickr group, you agree to be bound by these Official Rules.
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR TO WIN. A PURCHASE WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCE OF WINNING. CONTEST OPEN ONLY TO LEGAL RESIDENTS OF THE 50 UNITED STATES AND DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA WHO ARE EITHER OF THE AGE OF MAJORITY IN THEIR STATE OF RESIDENCE AT THE TIME OF ENTRY (19 OR OLDER IN AL AND NE, 18 OR OLDER IN ALL OTHER STATES). VOID OUTSIDE THE UNITED STATES AND WHERE OTHERWISE PROHIBITED BY LAW.
Official Rules: Me, My Scarf, and I Contest
1. How to Enter: To enter the Contest, submit a photo of yourself wearing the scarf that you have created, and include in the description how your scarf describes your personality. Some portion of the scarf must be created using a sewing machine to qualify.
Contest begins at 12:01 a.m. PDT on October 12, 2009 and will end at 11:59 p.m. PDT on November 22, 2009 (the “Contest Period”). All entries must be received during the Contest Period to be eligible. You may enter as many times as you wish, but please do not submit duplicate projects. Sponsors are not responsible for retaining archives of any projects submitted. Email addresses obtained through the Contest will only be used by Sponsors to notify the winners and participants of the contest results. All entries must be in English.
By submitting an entry, you grant Sponsors and their agents the irrevocable and perpetual nonexclusive right to print, publish, reproduce, distribute, modify, create derivative works from, promote, and provide access to any such Contest entry, in all media throughout the world, and without consideration to you. Projects: must be the original work of the entrant; may not have won previous awards; may not have been published previously; must not infringe third-party rights, and must be suitable for publication (i.e., may not be obscene or indecent). By submitting an entry, you represent and warrant: that you are the sole owner of all rights in and to the materials that constitute your entry; that your entry is your original work; and that your entry does not violate laws prohibiting copyright infringement, defamation, misuse of trade secrets, invasion of privacy, or other laws. You agree to confirm in writing your grant of rights to Sponsors and/or the above warranties as a condition to receiving a prize in the event you are eligible to receive a prize.
2. Winner Selection: Winner selection for the Grand Prize, and 3 (three) Runners-up will be based upon the following criteria:
- 50% - Creativity of design
- 25% - Description of how the scarf represents the creator
- 25% - Use of a sewing machine in the creation process
In the event of a tie, tie breaker will be based upon the highest score in the first judging criteria, continuing thereafter to each judging criteria in order, as needed, to break the tie. The Grand Prize, and the Runners-up Prizewinners will be determined by a qualified panel of judges from SINGER. Their decisions will be issued no later than Monday, November 30, 2009. The decisions of the panel will be final and binding on all matters relating to the Contest. Limit one prize per household.
3. Prizes: One Grand Prize Winner three Runner-up Winners will be selected by the judges. The Grand Prize is a SINGER ProFinish Serger (Model 14CG754), valued at $299.99.
The Runners-up will receive a SINGER Universal Carrying Case (Model 621B), valued at $24.99 and a $25 Maker Shed gift certificate.
Estimated total value of all prizes: US $449.96. All prizes will be awarded, provided they are properly claimed.
4. Winner Notification: Prizewinners will be notified by e-mail by Monday, November 30, 2009. Sponsors are not responsible for any change of entrant’s e-mail address. Any prize or prize notification returned as undeliverable or otherwise not claimed within seven (7) days after notification of prize award will be forfeited and awarded to an alternate prizewinner. Prizes are not transferable. No cash redemptions. No substitutions or exchanges of the prize will be permitted, except that Sponsors reserve the right to substitute a prize of equal or greater value for any prize that becomes unavailable. The prizes are awarded "AS IS" and WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, (INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, ANY IMPLIED WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE). ACCEPTANCE OR USE OF PRIZE IS AT THE WINNER'S OWN RISK.
5. Sponsors and any of their parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates, directors, officers, professional advisors, employees, and agencies will not be responsible for (1) any late, lost, or misrouted entries or errors in transmission; (2) any disruptions to Internet connection, injuries, losses, or damages caused by events beyond the control of Sponsors; or (3) any printing or typographical errors in any materials associated with the Contest.
6. Sponsors and their agencies are not responsible for technical, hardware, software, or telephone malfunctions of any kind and shall not be liable for failed, incorrect, incomplete, inaccurate, garbled, or delayed electronic communications utilized in this Contest which may limit the ability to participate in the Contest. If for any reason, including infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other cause beyond the control of Sponsors, which corrupts or affects the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of this Contest, the Contest is not capable of being conducted as described in these rules, Sponsors shall have the right, at their sole discretion, to modify and/or cancel the Contest.
7. Eligibility: Contest open to legal residents of the continental United States who are of the age of majority in their state of residence (19 or older in AL and NE, 18 or older in all other states) at the time of entry, or who are between 14 and the age of majority in their state of residence at the time of entry. Any minor who is eligible to receive a prize must submit a parental consent form signed by a parent or legal guardian prior to receiving a prize. Employees of Sponsors, CRAFT and/or SINGER, their subsidiaries, divisions, and related companies, and their respective agencies and agents and immediate family members of such are not eligible.
8. ALL FEDERAL, STATE, AND LOCAL TAXES ARE THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE PRIZE WINNERS. Prizewinners may be required to execute and return an affidavit of eligibility and publicity, liability and other release (and a signed parental consent form, if entrant is an eligible minor) within fifteen (15) days of notification attempt or prize will be forfeited and an alternate prizewinner will be selected.
9. BY ENTERING THE CONTEST OR ACCEPTING A PRIZE, PARTICIPANTS RELEASE SPONSORS AND ANY OF THEIR PARENT COMPANIES, SUBSIDIARIES, AFFILIATES, DIRECTORS, OFFICERS, EMPLOYEES, AND AGENCIES (COLLECTIVELY, THE "RELEASED PARTIES") FROM ANY LIABILITY WHATSOEVER, AND WAIVE ANY AND ALL CAUSES OF ACTION, FOR ANY CLAIMS, COSTS, INJURIES, LOSSES, OR DAMAGES OF ANY KIND ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE CONTEST OR ACCEPTANCE, POSSESSION, USE AND/OR MISUSE OF ANY PRIZE (INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, CLAIMS, COSTS, INJURIES, LOSSES, AND DAMAGES RELATED TO PERSONAL INJURIES, DEATH, DAMAGE TO OR DESTRUCTION OF PROPERTY, RIGHTS OF PUBLICITY OR PRIVACY, DEFAMATION OR PORTRAYAL IN A FALSE LIGHT, WHETHER INTENTIONAL OR UNINTENTIONAL) WHETHER UNDER A THEORY OF CONTRACT, WARRANTY, TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE, WHETHER ACTIVE, PASSIVE, OR IMPUTED), STRICT LIABILITY, PRODUCT LIABILITY, CONTRIBUTION, OR ANY OTHER THEORY.
10. Except where prohibited by law, entry into the Contest constitutes permission to use winner's name, likeness, contest submission materials, and/or prize information, without limitation, for any advertising, promotional, or any other purpose related to the Contest or to use of the entry by Sponsors or their agents, without further compensation to, or permission from, the Prizewinner.
11. Winner's List: A list of Prizewinners will be available at http://craftzine.com/memyscarfandi/ for at least 6 months after all prizes have been awarded.
12. The Contest will be governed, construed, and interpreted under the laws of the United States. Entrants who violate these Official Rules, tamper with the operation of the Contest, or engage in any conduct that is detrimental to Sponsors, the Contest, or any other entrant (as determined in Sponsors’ sole discretion) are subject to disqualification. By entering, entrants agree that all issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, participant’s rights and obligations, or the rights and obligations of the Sponsors in connection with the Contest, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of State of California, without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules (whether of the State of California or any other jurisdiction), which would cause the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than the State of California. By entering, entrants consent to the jurisdiction and venue of the federal, state and local courts located in San Francisco, California.
- Maker Media Division (CRAFT), O’Reilly Media, Inc., 1005 Gravenstein Hwy North, Sebastopol, CA 95472.
- SINGER Sewing Company, 1224 Heil Quaker Blvd, P.O. Box 7017, LaVergne, TN 37086.
The Contest and all accompanying materials are copyright © 2009 O’Reilly Media, Inc.
The CRAFT logo is a registered trademark of O’Reilly Media, Inc. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.