I took my very first quilting class today at Guildcrafters in Berkley, Mich. I’m proud to say I finished an entire top during our day of marathon sewing. I learned so much – one of my favorite takeaways was how best to use a rotary cutter. Here are a few quick tips that have made a huge difference in my projects:
- Make sure your cutter has a sharp blade – it makes such a difference!
- Try standing up – use the weight of your body for a firm cut
- Cut at a 45-degree angle – this will make sure you get a clean cut the first time
- Start cutting before you actually hit your fabric – this ensure you cut the very bottom of the fabric
- Keep your blade guard on in between cuts – this way you won’t accidentally hurt yourself or your project!
Do you have any tips to share when it comes to rotary cutting?