MAKEcation Family Challenge - Technojunk TeardownHere's how to play:
- Gather the family around the technojunk, take something apart
- Put on your deerstalker cap (propeller beanie?), grab a magnifying glass, hunt down and catalog all of the parts
- Document the process and the parts you find. Take photos and even video if you want. Load media to the MAKE Flickr pool (and tag it "familyteardown")
- Brainstorm some cool stuff you can make with what you find
- And be eligible to win some awesome prizes from Maker Shed!
Read the complete official rules, judging criteria, and prizes below.
This promotion is intended for play and participation in the United States only and shall be construed and evaluated according to the laws of the United States. Please do not participate if you are not a legal resident of the United States and located in the United States at the time of entry.
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR TO WIN. A PURCHASE WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCE OF WINNING. CONTEST OPEN ONLY TO LEGAL RESIDENTS OF THE 50 UNITED STATES AND DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA WHO ARE OF THE AGE OF MAJORITY IN THEIR STATE OF RESIDENCE AT THE TIME OF ENTRY (19 OR OLDER IN AL AND NE, 18 OR OLDER IN ALL OTHER STATES). VOID OUTSIDE THE UNITED STATES AND WHERE OTHERWISE PROHIBITED BY LAW.
Important: Please read these Official Rules before entering the MAKEcation Family Challenge - Technojunk Teardown (the "Contest") sponsored by Maker Media, a division of O'Reilly Media, Inc., the folks who bring you Make Magazine and Maker Shed ("Sponsor").
1. BINDING AGREEMENT: In order to enter the Contest, you must agree to these Official Rules ("Rules"). Because you will be bound by these Rules and these Rules will form a legally binding agreement with respect to this Contest, please read them carefully. You may not submit an Entry (as defined in Section 3 below) unless you agree to these Rules. You agree that participation in this Contest and/or submission of an Entry in the Contest constitutes your full and unconditional agreement to these Rules and Sponsor's decisions, which are final and binding in all matters related to the Contest.
2. ELIGIBILITY: Contest open to legal residents of the 50 United States and the District of Columbia who are of the age of majority in their state of residence (19 or older in AL and NE, 18 or older in all other states) at the time of entry. Employees, directors and officers of Sponsors, their respective subsidiaries, affiliates, distributors, retailers, contractors, agents, advertising and promotional agencies, and members of their immediate family (spouse, parents, children, sibling and their respective spouse) are not eligible to participate. Void outside of the United States and where otherwise prohibited by law. Contest is subject to all applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations.
3. DESCRIPTION OF THE CONTEST & SUBMISSION MATERIALS: During the Contest Period, participants have the opportunity to select any piece of consumer electronics (except televisions) or any household appliance that they are willing to sacrifice, take it part, inventory and catalog all of its components, figure out how all the components work together, and submit ideas for projects which could be made with some of these components. Please make sure that your Entry includes: (i) a written description of the take-apart and component inventory process with supporting documentation such as links to component datasheets, photos, videos, etc (photos or videos are optional but highly recommended and can be loaded to the MAKE Flickr pool); (ii) a detailed write-up of discoveries made and lessons learned (explain what each component did and how they work together. Concept sketches showing the functional relationship between components would be helpful); and, (iii) your ideas for new things you could make with some of the components you found. Any and all documentation and materials, including the Contest Entry Form, submitted in connection with the Contest are collectively hereinafter referred to as "Entry".
5. WINNERS SELECTION: All Entries will be judged by a qualified panel of 3 judges selected by Sponsor based on the following judging criteria: (a) quality of documentation: 50%; (b) discoveries made and lessons learned in the investigation: 30%, and (c) creativity of ideas for reusing the parts: 20% (20 bonus points for actually making a new working device with the parts). The contestant with the Entry with the highest total score among all judging criteria will be the potential Grand Prize Winner, subject to verification. The next contestant with the Entry with the next highest total score will be the potential Second Prize Winner, and the next two contestants with Entries with the next highest total scores will be the two Third Prize Winners, subject to verification. The Grand Prize Winner, the Second Prize Winner and the Third Prize Winners are collectively hereinafter referred to as "Winners". In the event of a tie, tie breaker will be based upon the highest score in the first judging criteria, continuing thereafter to each judging criteria in order, as needed, to break the tie. The decisions of the judging panel will be issued no later than September 29, 2010, and will be final and binding on all matters relating to the Contest.
6. WINNER NOTIFICATION: Each Winner will be notified by email on or about September 29, 2010. Sponsors are not responsible for any change of contestant's email address. Any prize or prize notification returned as undeliverable or otherwise not claimed within seven (7) days after notification of prize award will be forfeited and awarded to an alternate winner. Each Winner may be required to execute and return an affidavit of eligibility and publicity, liability and other release within seven (7) days of notification attempt or prize will be forfeited and an alternate Winner will be selected.
7. PRIZES: One (1) Grand Prize Winner, one Second Prize Winner, and two (2) Third Prize Winners will receive the following:
- Grand Prize (1): Grand prize Winner will receive one Make: Electronics Toolkit. Total estimated retail value of Grand Prize is $110.
- Second Prize (1): Second Prize Winner will receive one MAKE: Circuit Breaker Leatherman tool (ES4). Total estimated retail value of Second Prize is $36.
- Third Prize (1): Third Prize Winner will receive one 54 Piece Bit Driver Kit. Total estimated retail value of Third Prize is $19.95.
Estimated total value of all prizes: US $365.85. All prizes amounts are in US dollars. All prizes will be awarded, provided they are properly claimed. Prizes are not transferable. No cash redemptions. No substitutions or exchanges of the prizes will be permitted, except that Sponsors reserve the right to substitute a prize of equal or greater value for any prize that becomes unavailable. The prizes are awarded "as is" and without warranty of any kind, express or implied, (including, without limitation, any implied warranty of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose). Acceptance or use of prize is at Winners' own risk. Allow 4-6 weeks for receipt or arrangement of receipt of prize. All federal, state, and local taxes are the responsibility of the Winners. Limit one prize per household.
8. GENERAL CONDITIONS FOR PARTICIPATION: By submitting an Entry, you represent and warrant that: you are the sole owner of all rights in and to the materials that constitute your Entry; your Entry is your original work; you are the photographer of any photos submitted, videographer of any videos submitted, and the author of any written materials submitted; your Entry does not violate laws prohibiting copyright or trademark infringement, defamation, misuse of trade secrets, invasion of privacy, or other laws; and use of your Entry by Sponsor will not infringe on the rights of any third parties. By submitting an Entry, you grant Sponsor and its agents the irrevocable and perpetual nonexclusive right to print, publish, reproduce, distribute, modify, create derivative works from, promote, and provide access to any such Entry, in all media throughout the world, and without consideration to you. By submitting an Entry, you agree that your submission is gratuitous and made without restriction and will not place Sponsor under any obligation, and that Sponsor is free to disclose or otherwise disclose the ideas contained in the Entry on a non-confidential basis to anyone or otherwise use the ideas without any additional compensation to you. You acknowledge that, by accepting your Entry, Sponsor does not waive any rights to use similar or related ideas previously known to Sponsor, or developed by its employees, or obtained from sources other than you. Except where prohibited by law, by submitting an Entry into the Contest, you authorize Sponsor and its agents, to use your name, likeness, Entry submission materials, and/or Prize information, in any and all media without territorial or time limitation, for any advertising, promotional, or any other purpose related to the Contest, without further compensation to, or permission from, you.
9. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: Sponsor and any of its respective parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates, directors, officers, professional advisors, employees, and agencies will not be responsible for (1) any late, lost, or misrouted entries or errors in transmission; (2) any disruptions to Internet connection, injuries, losses, or damages caused by events beyond the control of Sponsors; or (3) any printing or typographical errors in any materials associated with the Contest. Sponsor and its agencies are not responsible for technical, hardware, software, or telephone malfunctions of any kind and shall not be liable for failed, incorrect, incomplete, inaccurate, garbled, or delayed electronic communications utilized in this Contest which may limit the ability to participate in the Contest. If for any reason, including infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other cause beyond the control of Sponsor, which corrupts or affects the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of this Contest, the Contest is not capable of being conducted as described in these rules, Sponsor shall have the right, at its sole discretion, to modify and/or cancel the Contest. By entering the Contest, submitting an Entry and/or accepting a prize, you release Sponsors and any of its respective parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates, directors, officers, employees, and agencies (collectively, the "Released Parties") from any liability whatsoever, and waive any and all causes of action, for any claims, costs, injuries, losses, or damages of any kind arising out of or in connection with the Contest or acceptance, possession, use and/or misuse of any prize (including, without limitation, claims, costs, injuries, losses, and damages related to personal injuries, death, damage to or destruction of property, rights of publicity or privacy, defamation or portrayal in a false light, whether intentional or unintentional) whether under a theory of contract, warranty, tort (including negligence, whether active, passive, or imputed), strict liability, product liability, contribution, or any other theory.
10. GOVERNING LAW: The Contest will be governed, construed, and interpreted under the laws of the United States. Participants who violate these Rules, tamper with the operation of the Contest, or engage in any conduct that is detrimental to Sponsor, the Contest, or any other participant (as determined in Sponsor's sole discretion) are subject to disqualification. By entering the Contest participants agree that all issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Rules, participant's rights and obligations, or Sponsor's rights and obligations in connection with the Contest, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of State of California, without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules (whether of the State of California or any other jurisdiction), which would cause the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than the State of California. Participants further consent to the jurisdiction and venue of the federal, state and local courts located in San Francisco, California.
11. WINNER'S LIST: A list of Prize winners will be posted at http://makezine.com/familyteardown/ for a period of six months after the end of the Contest.
12. SPONSORS' ADDRESS: O'Reilly Media, Inc., 1005 Gravenstein Hwy N., Sebastopol, CA 95472.
The Contest and all accompanying materials are copyright © 2010 O'Reilly Media, Inc. The MAKE and Maker Shed logos are registered trademarks of O'Reilly Media, Inc.