Excerpt from the article:
Exploding Easter Egg
I once decided to streamline the Easter egg dying process by hard-boiling and dying an egg in one step in my mother’s microwave oven.
Steps in recreating my experiment:
1. Place egg and dying liquids in ceramic mug.
2. Place mug in Mom’s microwave.
3. Set power to high for several minutes.
4. Hear door blow off of microwave oven.
5. Clean purple egg off the kitchen ceiling.
6. Apologize profusely.
Oh yeah, I was approximately 30 years old when I attempted this feat of genius.
—Gary Stager, Torrance, Calif.