Step #1: Start the headPrevNext
- Gauge: Head Rnd 1-3 with E hook = 3cm x 4.8cm at widest points.
- Start with ruby and E hook.
- Rnd 1: ch 6,3 sc into bump of first ch from hook (a bit tricky – ch loosely and pull loop on hook a bit longer than usual), sc in bumps of next 4 chs, 3 sc in last ch, sc in next 4 ch on opposite side of beginning ch (should look just like sc because you worked into bumps on previous side). Do not join: 14 sc. Rnd 2: (2 sc in next 3 sc, sc in next 4 sc) 2x: 20sc. Rnd 3: (2 sc in next sc, sc in next 4 sc) 4x: 24sc. Rnd 4-10: inc 3 sc evenly spaced: 45 sc.
- Change to silver.
- Rnd 11-13: inc 3 sc evenly spaced: 54 sc. Rnd 14-15: work even in sc.
Step #2: Bottom of headPrevNext
- Change to ruby and D hook.
- Rnd 16-19: dec 6 sc evenly spaced: 30 sc.
Step #3: Make the facePrevNext
- Time to give Robot a face. Examine the texture of the crochet. Notice ridges formed by rounds of crochet and valleys in between them. Look closer at the valleys and notice little posts running up and down from ridge to ridge. Put Robot's eyes in the third silver valley, 13 posts apart.
- Poke something pointier in there first to make the hole wide enough for the eyes to go through. Using a chain embroidery stitch, place Robot's mouth in the fourth silver valley, about 3 posts wide.
- Rnd 20: dec15 sc (decrease in every stitch): 15 sc.
- Stuff Robot's head very firmly. Body and legs won't have to be as firm.
Step #4: Make the body and first legPrevNext
- Change to pink and E hook.
- Rnd 21: inc 3 sc evenly spaced: 18 sc. Rnd 22: work even. Rnd 23-30: repeat (Ran 21-22) 4x: 30 sc. Rnd 31-32: inc 3 evenly: 36 sc.
- Change to ruby.
- Rnd 33: work even. Rnd 34-37: dec 3 evenly: 24 sc. Rnd 38: work even.
- First leg: change to black.
- Rnd 39: sc in next 3 sc, sk 12 sc, sc in next 9 sc: 12 sc. You'll make the second leg on skipped stitches. Rnd 40-42: inc 2 sc evenly: 18 sc.
- Change to silver. Rnd 43: sc in next 8 sc, sc 2 hdc in next sc, hdc in next 4 sc, 2 hdc sc in next sc, sc in next 4 sc: 22st. Rnd 44: sc in next 8 st, sc in next sc, sc in next 6 st: 26 st. Fasten off. Weave in end.
Step #5: Second leg and feetPrevNext
- Second leg: change to black. Rnd 1: Look at back of first leg, sk 4 sc of body and join black in next st by pulling up a loop. Sc in next 12 st: 12 sc. Rnd 2-7: repeat Rnd 39-44 of first leg. Fasten off. Weave in end.
- Bottoms of feet (make 2): change to silver and D hook.
- Follow directions for crocheting into ch for top of head, but join Rnds as instructed. Rnd 1: ch 4, 2 sc in first ch from hook, sc in next 2 ch, 3 hdc in last ch, sc in next 2 ch, sl st to join: 10 st. Rnd 2: ch 1, sc in same space, sc in next 3 st, sc 3 hdc in next st, st to join: 16 st. Rnd 3: ch 1, sc in same space, sc in next 4 st, sc 2 hdc in next st, hdc in next 4 st, 2 hdc sc, sc in next 4 st, 2 sc in next st, sl st to join: 22 st. Rnd 4: ch 1, sc in same space, sc in next 5 st, sc 2 hdc in next st, hdc in next 6 st, 2 hdc sc in next st, sc in next 7 st, sl st to join: 26 st.
- Fasten off leaving 26" tail. Using tail, whipstitch bottom to each foot, lining up the 6 hdcs.
Step #6: Make the armsPrevNext
- Arms, starting with hands (make 2): Pink and D hook.
- Rnd 1: ch 2, 6 sc in 2nd ch from hook: 6 sc. Rnd 2: inc 6 sc: 12 sc. Rnd 3: work even. Rnd 4: sc in next 11 sc, dc 4 tog in next st: 12 st. Rnd 5: sc in next 10 sc, dec: 11 sc. Rnd 6: dec, sc in next 9 st: 10 sc.
- Change to ruby.
- Rnd 7: sc in next 8 sc, dec: 9 sc. Rnd 8: sc in next 3 sc, dec, sc in next 4 sc: 8 sc.
- Stuff hand firmly and continue to stuff arm as you go. Rnd 9-15: work even in sc.
- Change to black.
- Rnd 16-18: work even in sc. Fasten off leaving 12" tail. Pinch arm closed and whipstitch it shut. Weave in end. Sew arms to the body, right under the neck with invisible thread.
Step #7: AccessorizePrevNext
- Headphone headband: black and D hook. Follow directions for crocheting into ch for top of head.
- Row 1: ch 29, change to C hook, sc in 2nd ch from hook and in next 27 chs, ch 1, turn: 28 sc. Row 2: sc in each sc: 28 sc. Sew headband to head with invisible thread.
- Ear muffs (make 2): black and D hook.
- Rnd 1: ch 2, 6 sc in 2nd ch from hook: 6 sc. Rnd 2-4: inc 6 sc: 24 sc. Rnd 5-6: work even in sc through back loop only. Rnd 7-8: dec 6 sc evenly spaced: 12 sc. Rnd 9: dec 3 sc evenly spaced: 9 sc.
- Fasten off leaving 12" tail. Stuff lightly. Sew hole closed. With the invisible thread, sew muffs to the head at ends of headband with decrease sides facing head.
Step #8: FinishPrevNext
You now have an adorably unadorned robot doll, which you can spiff up with as many sequins and beads as you like. Enjoy!