Step #2: Remove the Internal PartsPrevNext
- Once you have the two halves separated, you can cut off the support disk with a sharp knife. You can then remove the cylinder that contains the 20 sided die and blue fluid.
- If you want to extract the die, you can open up the cylinder by removing the three screws. Handle the fluid with care, it will stain.
Step #3: Prepare the PVC Pipe Spacer and Glue it in PlacePrevNext
- Find a small piece of clear plastic that is the same size as the viewing hole on the Magic 8 Ball. I used plastic from the packaging on a pair of headphones that I recently bought. Cut it so that it will fit the recessed circle inside the opening. Then glue it in place. This will keep the Magic 8 Ball sealed and prevent objects from falling inside.
- Then cut a piece of PVC pipe to be the same width as the bottom half of the Magic 8 Ball (about 1 3/4"). Paint the pipe black and let it completely dry. Then set it on the clear plastic disk that you just installed and center it with the opening. Glue it in place with a clear adhesive such as silicon or rubber cement. Let this cure over night.
Step #8: Finished Digital Magic 8 BallPrevNext
- To load pictures onto your digital Magic 8 Ball, insert the USB connector and plug the other end into your computer. With my keychain, I was able to load 60 pictures that display a variety of answers.
- Whenever you want to use it, just press the power button to begin cycling through pictures. When you turn it over, the message that is currently being displayed is the answer to your question. Try it out and have fun.