Step #1: PrevNext
- First, make the balsamic basil vinaigrette.
- Ingredients: 6 Tbsp olive oil, 1 1/2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar, 1 1/2 Tbsp red wine vinegar, 1 1/2 Tbsp Dijon mustard, 1/3 cup minced basil leaves, packed 3 cloves garlic, minced 3/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper, 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Whisk all the ingredients until well combined. Reserve 1/3 cup for serving alongside the cooked steak.
Step #2: PrevNext
- Place the steak in a gallon-sized zip-top bag, and pound the flank steak with a meat mallet or rolling pin until it is of even thickness throughout the whole portion.
- Season generously with salt and pepper on both sides, then let sit for about 10 minutes at room temperature.
Step #3: PrevNext
Add balsamic basil vinaigrette to the bag (reserving 1/3 cup for later). Zip the bag, getting as much of the air out as possible, and rub the bag all over to distribute the vinaigrette evenly. Refrigerate for up to 24 hours.
Step #4: PrevNext
- Remove the steak from the refrigerator and let it sit at room temperature while you preheat your grill to medium-high heat.
- Wipe any excess herbs from the steak before grilling. Grill, turning once, until desired doneness is reached, about 5-6 minutes per side for medium-rare or 6-7 minutes per side for medium.
- Allow the steak to rest on a platter, loosely tented with foil, for 10 minutes.
Step #5: PrevNext
Slice the steak across the grain into thin strips. Serve along with the remaining balsamic basil vinaigrette.