Step #1: Cut the paperboard patternPrevNext
- Print a car pattern on the sheet of paperboard, or you can even design it yourself. You can find a pattern at http://tinyurl.com/nerdyderbytemplate.
- Cut out your car body with a hobby knife or scissors.
Step #2: Fasten the axle holdersPrevNext
- Decide where your wheels should go. Your axles will work best if they "aligned", or parallel to each other.
- Make four holes in the car pattern where your wheels will go.
- Fasten your axle holders on it. If you are using grommets, use a grommet kit to fasten. If not, use strong glue.
Step #3: Fold and glue the cardboard patternPrevNext
- Fold and close the flat pattern into the car shape and glue together.
- You may find paper clips or binder clips help hold things while they dry.
Step #4: Add axles and wheels PrevNext
- Once the glue is dry, thread the two axles through the holes.
- Glue your wheels (washers or other) at the end of each axle.
- TIP: If your washer wheel's inside hole is too large for your metal rod, find smaller washers which fit with it, and paste them on the big ones.
Step #5: On your marks, get set, roll!PrevNext
Once everything is dry, you are ready to roll. Race your car down a slope, or make a set of awesome Nerdy Derby tracks. Learn how at http://nerdyderby.com/resources.html