Step #1: Glue on perimeter lace or ribbonPrevNext
- Set out your supplies and play around with your ribbons, lace, and buttons until you have a happy combo. You can paint your discs with acrylic paint if you wish. Set aside to dry before moving on to the next step.
- Wrap a length of ribbon or lace around the edge of your coaster or disc until the edge is fully covered. Use your scissors to trim. I found my coasters at a local estate sale, while the wooden discs came from my local craft store.
- Dab a bit of tacky glue around the perimeter of the disc or coaster and spread with a finger. Gently guide your lace or ribbon around the edge.
- Too much glue will make your ribbon or lace slip - use less than you think you need and allow the glue to set for a second or two before wrapping. Set the wrapped disc atop a spool to dry.
Step #2: Attach buttonsPrevNext
- Working in small batches, use your tacky glue to affix your buttons around the perimeter of your disc or coaster. This takes longer than attaching the ribbon or trim, but has such a nifty effect; I recommend it.
- Use two spools to "bookend" your upright disc or coaster - this will allow the glue to dry without your buttons sliding off.
Step #3: Attach spool to discPrevNext
- Select a wooden spool and add a small blob of your strong glue to the top, allowing it to tack up a second or two before adding your bedazzled coaster or disc.
- If you have enough spools, glue two or more atop each other to create stands of different heights. I threw in some vintage spools with thread still wrapped around them. The color adds a unique touch. If you do not wish to use up your vintage spools, you can find smaller wooden spool "blanks" at your local craft store in the same section as the discs.
- Play around with what you have before adding any glue. I found that one of my discs looked extra spiffy with the lace trim pointing up instead of down.
- While your happy treat stands are curing, preheat your oven and bake a round of mini cupcakes. I like this pink lemonade cake recipe.
Step #4: PrevNext
Arrange your sweet treat stands and throw a party. Add an assortment of happy, tiny treats such as mini donuts, truffles, tiny cupcakes, scrumptious squares of fudge, or paper cups of malt balls. Enjoy!