Step #4: Insert the Tubing into the CapsPrevNext
- First, cut air tubing to the appropriate lengths. I used 2 pieces that where 6 inches long and one piece that was 18 inches long. Your dimensions will depend on the bottles and the box that you are using.
- Once your pieces are cut, you can insert them into the caps. Take 1 of the 6 inch pieces of tubing and insert 1 end into the cap that has a single hole in it. Then take the other end and insert it into 1 of the holes on a second cap. The tubing only needs to go through the cap about 1/2 of an inch. Then take the second piece of 6 inch tubing and insert it into the free hole on the second cap and 1 of the holes on the third cap. Again it only needs to go through the cap about 1/2 of an inch. Lastly, take the 18-inch-long piece of tubing and insert it through the free hole on the third cap. This tubing should go through the cap far enough that the bottom of the tube will be able to reach the bottom of the bottle.
- The tubing should be able to make a mostly-air-tight seal with the caps. If the tubes are too loose, you can apply a sealant around them. Let any sealant fully cure before using the system.
Step #6: Cut Holes in the Box for the Funnel and the TubingPrevNext
- First, we need to attach the funnel to the top of the box. Trace the outline of the narrow end of the funnel in the center of the top of the box. Then carefully cut out this circle with a knife.
- Next, we need to make a hole in the side of the box for the output tube. The easiest way to do this is to drill a hole with the same drill bit that you used to make the holes in the caps. You want the hole to be at least an inch above the fluid level of the wine bottle; if the end of the output hose is lower than the level of the fluid in the wine bottle, you can create a siphon that can cause the entire contents of the wine bottle to drain out. This can be an interesting trick in and of itself (appearing to multiply water) but it is not what we are going for in this project.
Step #7: Insert All the Parts into the BoxPrevNext
- Now you are ready to load all the parts into the box. Start by inserting the narrow end of the funnel through the hole in the top of the box. Then take the cap with a single hole and screw it onto the funnel inside the box.
- Next, screw the second cap onto the first bottle, which should be empty. Screw the third cap onto the second bottle, which should be full of wine (or juice or soda or whatever).
- Lastly, take the hose that is coming out of the second bottle and feed it through the hole in the side of the box.
- Once all the parts are inside the box, you can tape the box closed.
Step #9: Use Your Box to Turn Water into WinePrevNext
- Fill your glass with water, then pour it into the funnel on top of the box. Quickly move your cup to below the output tube. Your glass will begin to fill up with wine. You can continue this process until the wine bottle is empty.
- This makes a great party trick. Or you can fill it with Kool-Aid and impress a bunch of kids. Whatever you do, have fun.