MAKE Newsletter for February 22, 2008
MAKE magazine coverage of the 2008 NYC Toy Fair and details on the massive MAKE Flickr photo pool contest.
It's been a super exciting last couple of weeks here at MAKE! We've added a MAKE Flickr photo pool curator (Collin) to the team and we've kicked off a MASSIVE photo contest. The contest details are below, and anyone can enter -- just show us what you MAKE!
The MAKE Flickr photo pool has:
If you missed the lunar eclipse this week, you can even see amazing photos of it in the MAKE pool!
Next up, we spent a few days at the annual NYC Toy Fair, with our lens focused on DIY, science, and engineering. So if you're looking for what's out there, we have it -- and then some!
Lastly, MAKE celebrated President's Day by highlighting some of Thomas Jefferson's inventions and projects. Jefferson "open sourced" a plow design and made a wood cipher -- truly a Maker president!
So with that said, we'll leave with his words from "A Decalogue of Canons for Observation in Practical Life":
1. Never put off till to-morrow what you can do to-day.
2. Never trouble another for what you can do yourself.
3. Never spend your money before you have it.
4. Never buy what you do not want, because it is cheap; it will be dear to you.
5. Pride costs us more than hunger, thirst, and cold.
6. We never repent of having eaten too little.
7. Nothing is troublesome that we do willingly.
8. How much pain have cost us the evils which have never happened.
9. Take things always by their smooth handle.
10. When angry, count ten, before you speak; if very angry, a hundred.
(Randall, Henry S. The Life of Thomas Jefferson, Volume 3. New York: Derby & Jackson, 1858, p.525.)
From the MAKE Blog
We're pretty happy about our NYC Toy fair 2008 coverage, hundreds of photos and dozens of posts round the clock during the event. Looking around online I think we had the most complete coverage, especially of DIY/Science and learning products. We skipped a lot of awful at the Toy Fair, but we hope showcasing some of the kits, science and engineering centric products helps these companies and parents out there find each other. We also tried to highlight "Made in USA" companies, with all the lead and other contaminants found in imports over the last couple years, being made in the USA is now a desired feature. There were over 20 lead testing companies, it was out of control.
We tried to showcase old-tech meets new tech and the crafty side of the fair - thanks everyone who met us at the fair and toured with us!
The MAKE Flickr photo pool contest! Win an Eye-Fi wireless SD card, Flickr pro accounts and MAKE Pocket refs!
The MAKE Flickr photo pool has over 3,468 members and 19,934 photos. We recently added Collin to our staff as an author and as our MAKE Flickr photo pool curator - so it's about time we have a contest. Put your projects, anything you MAKE at all in the MAKE Flickr photo pool. In about 3 weeks we're going to pick our favorites. Anything put in the pool between now and 2/29/08 is eligible. You're more likely to win something if it's awesome and if it's from the pages of MAKE. That's pretty much the only thing we're going to suggest, be creative - don't put 50 photos of the same project, we'll announce the winners around March 3rd.
To put your photos up, join here.
- 10 (6 month) pro accounts from Flickr. What's a pro account? Unlimited storage, uploads, bandwidth, sets, archiving, ad-free and stats.
- 10 MAKE Pocket refs. All the reference information anyone needs on virtually any subject is right at the fingertips in this handy pocket-sized guide. Its tables, charts, drawings, lists, and formulas will be especially useful for contractors, students, travelers, electronics hobbyists, craftspeople, and engineers and technicians in virtually every field - Link.
- 2 Eye-Fi wireless SD cards. I bought one of these and love it. It's the fastest and easiest way to get photos to Flickr (or other photo services and to your own computer) - Link.