You can buy a TiVo, a TiVo-like video recorder, or a Microsoft Media center PC, but who knows how long you’ll be able to keep/record all your shows – so – I usually try and get folks to take MythTV for a swing, an open source alternative. That said, sometimes setting up a Linux box isn’t for everyone, so if you still want to go open source but want to spend some bucks to get going, MonolithMC has made to order MythTV boxes starting at $650 – [via] – Link.
Related — DIY MythTv’in:
- MythTV on Mac x86 – Link.
- Build your own PVR – MythTV 0.19 released – Link.
- MythTV invades realm of cable and TiVo – Link.
- Building a MythTV Box, Part 1: Hardware – Link.
- HOW TO – Install MythTV on your Xbox – Link.
- Building a MythTV Antenna System. – Link.
- SYSTM Episode #2 – MythTV – Link.
- Free TiVo: Build a Better DVR out of an Old PC – Link.
- HDTV on Your Mac – Build a simple high-definition video recorder and beat the Broadcast Flag. All you need is a $10 antenna, a $175 decoder card, and some free software. MAKE 02 – Page 45 (log in).