For this project, I modified the idea out of Craft: magazine and so I’ve include the article from that magazine as a downloadable pdf to print out and guide you on this project. I made a few changes. I used regular LEDs instead of the teeny tiny surface mount ones. I used Lexan/ Polycarbonate for the structure, which I ended up cutting into strips. Finally, I used sanded down magnet wire to connect up the LEDs because that’s what I had around, regular wire would work fine too if you strip it.
If you wanted to make this project a bit easier, you could just wire up LEDs into a pattern that wouldn’t change or be programmable. Go get yourself a pumpkin and get to it. Make sure to post the results to the Halloween contest and to the Make flickr pool.