Heads up NYC electronauts –
Ignite NYC: Soldering, Guerilla Knitting, & Bomb Shelters
The first Ignite NYC is going to happen 7/29 at M1-5. We are going to feature 16 speakers. Each speaker will get 20 slides that auto-advance after 15 seconds for a total of five-minutes. Ignite is free and open to the public — you’re on your own for drinks. We’re also going to be joined by Ignite co-creator, Bre Pettis. Bre is going to lead us in a creative soldering contest. RSVP at Upcoming or Facebook to let us know you are coming. The night will begin with:
7:00PM – Doors Open
7:30PM – NYC Soldering Championship:
With solder irons blazing, and the power of molten metal at their finger tips, New York City’s electricity enthusiasts and hardware hackers will connect components to complete circuits for the glory of being the fastest soldering gun in NYC.
On stage and under hot lights, contestants will complete an electronics kit in the shortest time possible while still maintaining the integrity of the circuit. Who will be New York City’s soldering champion? You’ll need to be there to find out!
To solder you’ll have to pre-register, but anyone can come enjoy the opening contest. After the contest, there will be:
8:00PM – Ignite Talks
- Tom Igoe – Physical Computing’s Greatest Hits (or Misses)
- Tony Bacigalupo – NYC’s Startup Scene: Where are the geeks?
- Jessica Bruder – How to be an Undercover Hooker (reprising her talk on taking an NYPD course)
- Karen McGrane – From Typing to Swiping: Interaction Design has come a long way!
- Rose White – Weird and wonderful knitting — graffiti and science and art combined!
- Audacia Ray – Porn as a front runner in technology innovations
- Charlie O’Donnell – Shaving your head: When to start, how to maintain, and to BIC or not to BIC?
- Charles Forman – How to date celebrichauns with founder fetish
- Natalie Jeremijenko – A bomb shelter for the climate crisis
- Pat Allan – So you’re a kick-arse coder…
- Joel Johnson – Indie Games: At Least They’re Free!
more info – Ignite NYC