DIY Haunts is a cool contest sponsored by Jameco Electronics and MAKE that challenges makers to utilize sound, light, and movement to create the ultimate Halloween decoration. But you have to build it… quickly! Our deadline is midnight, November 2nd.
Need inspiration? Check out these super cool costumes and props we blogged about a few years ago. It’s still a great font of creativity that hopefully will help jump start your project.
Are you already hard at work on a contest submission? Close to being done? Leave a comment with a note about where you are in your project. We’d love to hear about it.
With one week remaining, here’s what you need to participate:
- Our contest landing page including official rules and prize information.
- The online submission form.
Throughout the contest we’ve updated participants with a series of newsletters talking about the contest and our optional project, the Spooky Fun Tombstone that lights up, splits open, and emits ghastly noises! We discussed cutting the styrofoam with nichrome wire, wiring up LEDs, the servo, and the motion sensor, adding audio to your project and programming the Arduino. The sixth newsletter, out today, brings all the pieces of the project together.
Good luck, and be sure to submit your entry when you’re done!
DIY Haunts Newsletters
- DIY Haunts Newsletter, Dispatch #1
- DIY Haunts Newsletter, Dispatch #2
- DIY Haunts Newsletter, Dispatch #3
- DIY Haunts Newsletter, Dispatch #4
- DIY Haunts Newsletter, Dispatch #5
- DIY Haunts Newsletter, Dispatch #6
DIY Haunts Prizes
- Grand Prize: The Grand Prize Winner will receive one Stingray Robot, one MAKE magazine Halloween Issue, $50 Gift Certificate redeemable at Maker Shed, and a Jameco Electronics T-shirt. Total estimated retail value of Grand Prize is $374.94.
- Second Prize: Second Prize Winner will receive one Lego Mindstorms kit, one MAKE Magazine Halloween issue, and a Jameco Electronics T-Shirt. Total estimated retail value of Second Prize is $304.94.
- Third Prize: Third Prize Winner will receive one MAKE Circuit Breaker Leatherman ES4, one MAKE Magazine Halloween Issue, and a Jameco Electronics T-shirt. Total estimated retail value of Third Prize is $60.99.