555 Memorial Circuit

Technology

To mark the passing of Hans R. Camenzind (designer of the 555 timer chip), MAKE reader Jim Frize freeformed this lovely little oscillating circuit as a solemn tribute.

More:

30 thoughts on “555 Memorial Circuit

1. Jim Frize says:

Thanks Gareth, much apreciated.

2. Tommy Phillips says:

Bonus! What a great way to visualize how the standard astable mode works!

3. Augur says:

It would be a truly epic memorial for thousands (dare I say millions) of these to be made by diy’s worldwide… I don’t suppose Gareth Branwyn would consider posting the circuit? (Yeah, I can figure it out, but I would still appreciate a circuit diagram….) Or creating an Instructable on http://www.instructables.com?

1. Augur says:

2. Augur says:

Jim. Thanks so much for the schematic. Would you mind if I post it on Facebook and http://www.instructables.com? I will be sure to prominently ID you as the designer… I think it would be wicked cool to see this go “viral.” I’m going to mount a solar powered one in a jar on a base with appropriate label (etched brass maybe). “Hans R. Camenzind (1934-2012), designer of the 555 chip, (555 memorial design by Jim Frize)”

1. Augur says:

Hmmmm…. Maybe encapsulate in clear expoxy….

2. Jim Frize says:

Sure no problem, glad you like the circuit. Send me a link of your post/s too so I can check it out (jim@sonodrome.co.uk)

1. Augur says:

Thanks… and Will Do… and thank you for thinking up such a nifty memorial…

3. Gareth Branwyn says:

We’d love it if you posted this to Make: Projects (makeprojects.com). I was thinking about driving a “campaign” to have a bunch of these memorial circuits made. If you put it up in M:P, we can promote it through all of our channels. Should get a lot of interest/attention.

1. Augur says:

Will do…

4. sparky3489 says:

Schematic please.

1. Augur says:

Jim Frize (circuit designer) has mad this available to us:
      Here’s the circuit schematic: http://www.sonodrome.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/hans.png

1. Augur says:

*made

5. MAKE | Your Comments says:

[…] response to 555 Memorial Circuit, Tommy Phillips says: Bonus! What a great way to visualize how the standard astable mode […]

Comments are closed.

Tagged

Gareth Branwyn is a freelance writer and the former Editorial Director of Maker Media. He is the author or editor of over a dozen books on technology, DIY, and geek culture. He is currently a contributor to Boing Boing, Wink Books, and Wink Fun. And he has a new best-of writing collection and “lazy man’s memoir,” called Borg Like Me.

View more articles by Gareth Branwyn