Makers already have a great sense of community, sharing, and collaborating. Now Adafruit, Makerbot, the Robo Hand Project, and other organizations have partnered to create the Make The World: Prosthetics program. Other key partners include e-NABLE, Anthromod, Hands For Africa, The Lucky Fin Project, and The Open Hand Project.
This one month program will run on Google+. Its goal is to apply the crowdsource model to producing Robohand prosthetics and getting them to people who need them. Participants can help in three ways:
- Innovating: open-source design work for the prosthetics
- Creating: provide 3D printing resources
- Donating: make a financial contribution
The Makers, Hackers, Artists and Engineers Community page on Google+ will be host to the program. Look for the sub-section, “Make The World”. There participants can post questions, resources, and what they can provide to the effort.
The program will run four Google+ Hangout sessions with notable inventors and makers.
- Oct. 4, 8pm ET – Introduction (60 min.)
- Oct. 11, 8pm ET – Community Check-in (30 min.)
- Oct. 18, 8pm ET – Community Check-in (30 min.)
- Oct. 25, 8pm ET – Recap (60 min.)
This is an amazing opportunity to make a difference in someone’s life. It’s a demonstration of the global village at its best.