Usb Hub 01
What’s going on here? – Link.

Phillip Torrone

Editor at large – Make magazine. Creative director – Adafruit Industries, contributing editor – Popular Science. Previously: Founded – Hack-a-Day, how-to editor – Engadget, Director of product development – Fallon Worldwide, Technology Director – Braincraft.

Comments

1. rautiocination says:

That is perhaps the single most awesome thing I have ever seen.

2. s3rious_simon says:

ACK…

can anyone figure out how this guy linked the 5 Hubs without loosing ports ?
    i’d like to build one, too .

3. gregjsmith says:

Looks like the power supply is built in, rather than a external brick. Even nicer!

4. Emrikol says:

can anyone figure out how this guy linked the 5 Hubs without loosing ports ?
    i’d like to build one, too .

If you’ll notice, the top unit is also a hub, but missing the USB A ports. They look like they are wired to the missing USB B ports on the other hubs…thus he is losing 4 ports.

5. xtopher says:

My school is blocking me right now but it looks like they are 7 port hubs. Look at the top row closest to you and you will see 4 ports missing. they are used to connect the lower four tiers.

6. xtopher says:

My school is blocking me right now but it looks like they are 7 port hubs. Look at the top row closest to you and you will see 4 ports missing. They are used to connect the lower four tiers.

7. xtopher says:

8. xtopher says:

9. kyz says:

“As for device manager in such a thing”
    …indeed!

10. Dolomite says:

Very BORG like. nice indeed.

11. m_jake says:

The answer to your question is he doesn’t, from the first line of the page he says “7ポートのハブを5個使って31ポートのハブを作ってみた。” meaning “Trying to use five seven port hubs to make a 31 port hub.” From the first picture (the one shown above), you can clearly see four USB ports are missing (they have been disordered) this main board has 3 open ports and connects the four other boards to the remaining 4 (invisible) ports. Each other 7 port hub retains it seven ports making 7*4+3=31 ports. By the way the usb link ports have all been disordered and replaced with wires except the top one which is the one you would use to connect the cube to a computer. They were all replaced with wires that are routed between the top and second board to the invisible usb ports. Now go build one.

12. s3rious_simon says:

mpf…
    guess I should have had a closer look @ the pictures ;)
    now I only need to fetch a few USB-hubs (no problem) an some free time ( big problem :-( ) …

13. AquaX says:

Can anyone figure out what he’s using for a power supply? That would be my biggest stumbling block in designing one of these.

14. rabid72 says:

my computer has only 3 usb ports. with the keyboard and mouse plugged in, only 1 left.

15. cdreid says:

If you look at the bottom “cube” you can see a capacitor and a metal enclosure that looks like a switching power supply box. The plugin looks like a printer plugin so probably scavenged from an old printer or custom built. You should only need a standard 5v power supply with some decent amperage.