Error Message

If you try to run an old DOS game on Vista, you’ll probably get an error “This system does not support fullscreen mode.” Fortunately, this isn’t a dead end. Download a copy of DOSBox, the greatest MS-DOS emulator for any platform (Windows, Linux, Mac OS X, and more), and try running your game under DOSBox. Not only will you get support for old-school graphics like CGA and EGA, you can even run it in a window!

DOSBox on Vista
Sopwith on Vista

Brian Jepson

I’m a tinkerer and finally reached the point where I fix more things than I break. When I’m not tinkering, I’m probably editing a book for Maker Media.

Comments

DOSBox would be alot nicer if I could make batch files to speed things up.

2. farrahrani says:

i am running vista, and for some reason dosbox will not allow me to make a colon (:)
    I have tried using allcaps, using shift and different combinations, but I am unable to do it, which means i cannot access the drive the file is on. Is anyone else having this problem?

3. ltdistributors says:

I have Vista and I can’t use the “\” it comes up “]” for some odd reason. So I am unable to mount the drive… any ideas? The colon problem is fixed by usind the LEFT SHIFT KEY for some reason only the LEFT SHIFT seems to get the colon.

4. Steev says:

i have the same exact problem

5. Ray says:

I was having that problem with the ‘:’, but then I used the keymapper (Ctrl-F1) and I found that it was just in a different place…

If I remember correctly, it’s in the middle row, the third key from the right after the ‘Enter’, where in my keyboard is the ‘ç’.

6. Dan says:

I’m running a Vista, and it won’t let me change the .conf
    file, so I don’t know how to mount a drive.