Fr886X1F0Lklk7U.Medium
Here’s a clever way to store your lens cap with a bit of velcro – Link.

Phillip Torrone

Editor at large – Make magazine. Creative director – Adafruit Industries, contributing editor – Popular Science. Previously: Founded – Hack-a-Day, how-to editor – Engadget, Director of product development – Fallon Worldwide, Technology Director – Braincraft.

Comments

1. ericskiff says:

This is frakking brilliant. Definitely doing this with my canon asap – it drives me crazy swinging around like it does, but I know I’ll lose it if it’s not attached.

2. mkeblx says:

It’s a: why didn’t I think of that? kind of thing. I’m doing this to my Canon S2IS ASAP, except with thin magnets.

3. tiedyepie says:

I’d think I’d rather have hook & loop near my flash media than two magnets, but go with what works.

4. volkemon says:

My Kodak need this- great idea!!!

I like the magnet idea, but maybe a flat plate ( or the tripod stud area) on the camera. A magnet on the camera bottom would attract debris.

The media slot on my camera is on the right side, but the concern is a VERY valid point I might have overlooked. THANKS tiedyepie!

5. milombogo@gmail.com says:

Take off your tin-foil hat, tiedyepie. Unless your “flash media” is actually a microdrive(and therefore not really flash media), having a magnet near it is going to have about the same effect as velcro. Flash media is not magnetically encoded like cassette tapes and floppy disks, it’s nonvolatile RAM.

In fact, with today’s storage rates and techniques, I’d be interested in hearing any first-hand accounts of even a microdrive being erased by a magnet…

6. ianmsmith says:

While flash media is immune to magnetic fields, I would be wary of putting any magnet near the camera body itself which has many high percision moving metal parts and magnetic coils for various motors and latches.