Eagle5 Menubird

Eagle users, in case you haven’t heard: Cadsoft released version 5 of their popular PCB layout software – and with it a lot of very welcome changes. To name just a few -

• When clicking with the right mouse button on an object in an editor window, a context specific popup menu is now displayed from which commands that apply to this object can be selected.

• The Mac OS X version of EAGLE no longer requires an X11 server, and comes as a “Universal Binary” that runs on PPC and Intel Macs.
  • In a library, devices can now have “attributes”, which are arbitrary user definable “name/value” pairs. Attributes are related to the individual “technology” variants of a device.
  • Various buttons in the editor window now have a popup menu that contains a list of recently used items or user defined aliases (depending on the button type). These buttons are marked with a small black arrow at the bottom right corner of their icon.

Contextual menus, finally – Woohoo! – Cadsoft Eagle 5.0

Collin Cunningham

Born, drew a lot, made video, made music on 4-track, then computer, more songwriting, met future wife, went to art school for video major, made websites, toured in a band, worked as web media tech, discovered electronics, taught myself electronics, blogged about DIY electronics, made web videos about electronics and made music for them … and I still do!

Comments

1. ian says:

Finally! Eagle needs some serious improvements.

Any word if Eagle3d works in the new version?

2. Collin Cunningham says:

hmm, I’ll try and let you know

3. Collin Cunningham says:

yups – worked fine with eagle3d

too bad povray still doesn’t run in leopard

4. Windell Oskay says:

Collin: You should be using MacMegaPOV:

By the way– I six attempts on three separate occasions I have still failed to be able to log in with the new Make Blog comment system. Needs some work. Among other things, looks like the OpenID implementation is out of date.

5. Collin Cunningham says:

Yes -I’d actually just found that software when you commented

6. macetech.com says:

Oskay: Makezine is running OpenID 1.0 and providers like Yahoo only have OpenID 2.0. I ended up using phpMyID (http://siege.org/projects/phpMyID/) to set up my own OpenID server. But you’d better make sure your optional information is correct before you log into Make, because there’s no way to change it after the initial login! Hence why I’m known as “macetech.com” here instead of a better nickname. I discussed this with several people from Make, that was a couple months ago…apparently the extension for Movable Type is actually supposed to be used for authors, not visitors who don’t have a real profile.