steamSnowboard1.jpg
steamSnowboard2.jpg
steamSnowboard3.jpg
steamSnowboard4.jpg

This is simultaneously ridiculous and very awesome. I like the stalagmite pile of pizza boxes on the table in the second image. The joys of making and the all-night work-a-thon.

Steampunk Snowboard by Koda & Nino [via Steampunk Workshop]

Gareth Branwyn

Gareth Branwyn is a freelancer writer and the former Editorial Director of Maker Media. He is the author or editor of a dozen books on technology, DIY, and geek culture, including the first book about the web (Mosaic Quick Tour) and the Absolute Beginner’s Guide to Building Robots. He is currently working on a best-of collection of his writing, called Borg Like Me.

Comments

1. tudza says:

Okay, what does the extra crap stuck on there do?

2. Gareth Branwyn says:

It’s special magical machinery that generates joy, laughter, frivolity, a sense whimsy and possibility. Very sophisticated mechanisms are involved. The heart has precise algorithms.

1. ad astra says:

According to the website, they currently do nothing (other than the functions Gareth notes), but may eventually funnel air into a turbine generator to run lights.

1. JasonQ says:

…may be an early Victorian species limiter, disemboweling the foolhardy, snagging-and-dragging the slow of wit &/or foot, and possibly commandeering steering from the operant carbon unit, if one side flaps loose.

3. Snuboarder says:

I cant wait for the 10 minute ride to the top of the mountain while dangling all this junk from my ankles…

Words fail me…

5. barney says:

i’m sure there’s a steampunk airbag in there somewhere to prevent injurious encounters with the period-correct steam spittoons at either end of the board

6. Derek says:

This thing sucks

I miss the days when steampunk was about smart people making functioning modern inventions using Victorian Era stylings instead of high school dropouts gluing brass and leather to anything they can.

1. Zaskoda says:

I’ll try to write this slowly since I’m sure most of you can’t read very fast.

High school dropout? Hmm.. So the board is functional. I’m a bit surprised how many people seem to assume that a ‘Steampunk Snowboard’ would be powered by steam. Seems a bit of a literal conclusion. Anyway, with no link to my blog post about the board, folks don’t seem to have a clue how it works.

The funnel shaped cloth sails on each side of the board harness the one natural resource that’s usually in ample supply while you’re snowboarding – wind. The funnels force the airflow into the rear chamber. It creates a large amount of focused energy at relatively low speeds.

We spent 4 nights working on the board to get it to a state where it could be demo’d at a slopeside costume party. The next stage will include a small wind generator inside the rear chamber.

Alright, you’re welcome to go back to spending your time complaining about things on the Internet. Keep up the good work, the rest of us are counting on your contribution to society.

=)

8. fsticfrankie says:

I keep hoping that I can quit saying this….steampunk sucks,get a life!