Sh Fn Premium Off
That’s right, it’s 2009 and there are now Stainless steel Sharpies with refillable ink cartridges and a laser etched logo… I kinda want one next time I need a replacement. Whatcha think, cool or overkill?

Phillip Torrone

Editor at large – Make magazine. Creative director – Adafruit Industries, contributing editor – Popular Science. Previously: Founded – Hack-a-Day, how-to editor – Engadget, Director of product development – Fallon Worldwide, Technology Director – Braincraft.

Comments

1. Pete Marchetto says:

The way I (ab)use Sharpies, total overkill. If you’re marking up interweave aluminum every other day and shredding the tip, this would make for a very pretty piece of trash pretty quickly.

That said, it’s pretty cool looking!

1. justDIY says:

Like the above poster mentions, my ink supply well outlasts the tip. I’d prefer a replaceable tip over a refillable cartridge; having both would be a real bonus.

I found a picture of the refill online and it looks like the tip is part of the refill – so it will be replaced everytime you refill the pen. In fact, it looks like all of the black plastic shown in the picture is part of the refill and not a permanent part of the pen body.

1. jeff-o says:

If that’s the case, then it’s not overkill. Hopefully the refills are cheaper than individual plastic sharpies!

3. wink says:

The stainless steel Sharpie is the culmination of 10,000 years of civilization. Our work here is done.

4. dave says:

I had something similar, about 20 or more years ago, that I found cleaning out a garage. Might even still have it. Wasn’t a Sharpieâ„¢ brand, but was the same idea… aluminum body, and a marker.
    Having spent a couple of decades in the touring world of rock’n’roll, I’ve long lost count of how many Sharpies I’ve used/disposed of/lost, so for me, this would be a tad overkill.
    But I still want one.

1. Marrz says:

just because it’s overkill doesn’t mean it’s not cool and i can’t imagine the cost difference will break the bank.

5. airship says:

Two words: self defense.

6. Patrick says:

as an aircraft mechanic i have to say this is an amazing idea, as long as it comes in fine point. as long as it doesnt happen to fall into the rudder gears. this is make magazine thow, does someone have an idea how to make this your self?

7. Scott says:

Between that and the retractable pen, it makes the perfect addition to a labcoat, as long as your lab mates don’t take them.

8. Mike says:

I bought one at Comic-Con last month in San Diego for about $7.00, and a refill for another $2.00, from Carpe Diem (www.carpediemstore.com). The refill is pretty much everything except the ss shell of the pen.

I hope Sanford considers other color and tip size refills!