They let me loose in the Maker Shed, so I grabbed a tinyCylon kit, built it, and embedded it in a busted Nerf gun! Please enjoy the video, and watch out for the noisy lamp.

To modify the kit for flexibility, I soldered the LEDs in at full height; you could extend things further by adding some wire between the switch and board, or make an extension for the battery pack. I’d love to hear about other kit modifications people have done.

These kits are great for adding effects to props and costumes. For more details on building the kit, check out Marc de Vinck’s excellent build notes here.

MZ_IntheMakerShed-5.gif

MKDW1-2T.jpg

tinyCylon kit in the Maker Shed

John Edgar Park

John Edgar Park

John Edgar Park likes to make things and tell people about it. He works in CG animation at DisneyToon Studios and writes for Make, Boing Boing, and other places online and in print. You can find him at jpixl.net and twitter @johnedgarpark — if you like that sort of thing.

7 Responses to John Park in the Maker Shed: tinyCylon kit build

Your Thoughts?

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

1. Gareth Branwyn on said:

They let you loose in the Shed? Big mistake! Not kits’ll be safe! Keep him away from the GUI-tars!

Would be cool to see what other mods you could do to the Nerf Gun. Seems like turning them into cosplay props is all the rage these days. Blake did one, based on instructions he found online. Made it look like gunmetal, aged/distressed it, etc. Turned out pretty well for a first attempt.

(Seriously tho, nice job on the vid.)

2. jktechwriter on said:

I bought a pair like that at Restoration Hardware over a year ago… then they discontinued them. Where did you get yours? I’m looking for a 2nd pair…

3. John Park on said:

Thanks Gar, (GUI-tars nothin’, I need a LASER BANJO)
    I agree — it would be so sweet to paint that gun up like a Necromunda prop. I want to see photos of the one Blake did.

Jk, that’s where I got mine too, but I’ve heard they are available at hardware stores in Germany. Any Germans want to send us some?

4. Alan Parekh on said:

Nice hack John. I need some of those super fast chipmunks to assemble my circuits. Reminds me of the elves and the shoemaker. :)

Next you need to hook it up to an motion controlled air pump and firing mechanism!

• John Park on said:

haha, yeah, I don’t know what I’d do without the chipmunks. And I agree, maybe it is time to fix the pump again and give it some sentry gun controls…

5. fruitkid101 on said:

Hey John. you ought to cyberpunk your nerf gun. With the tinyCylon it’ll look pretty awesome

6. Eric Cirelli on said:

Gun control laws should really be passed. There are just so many violent events that is happening these days because of loose firearms. I just hope that the government will be more strict when it comes to guns..,,`”

Many thanks