What does the top edge of say, your utility closet door look like? I’m betting that you’ve probably never seen it, even if you’ve lived in your home for awhile. And although there’s not a lot of room to hide stuff in there, well, if you’re like me, the stuff you want to hide is usually on the smaller side. Not many people think of the space inside the door as a hiding spot, but it’s right there in easy reaching distance when you need to get to it. And it’s devious enough that, yes, I think this trick will still be effective even after we blog it all over the tubes.

Sean Michael Ragan

I am descended from 5,000 generations of tool-using primates. Also, I went to college and stuff. I write for MAKE, serve as Technical Editor for MAKE magazine, and develop original DIY content for Make: Projects.

Comments

1. Becky Stern says:

I agree, useful even after it’s blogged all over the place, except at /your/ house! =] Nice project, Sean.

I hope that the police see this and make use of it when searching houses.

1. I hope so, too! Our penetration into the police demographic could be
      a lot better.

2. I think this is great for “personal use” like stashing important private data that you don’t want stolen by petty criminals (or parents, kids, whatever).

But most of the stuff posted around for hiding places I would think are pretty obvious for law enforcement searches. You’re going to need something a lot better than anything presented around here if you’re trying to hide things from the Feds. At least, I would certainly hope so.

1. Napalm Nate says:

The best way to hide anything from any kind of authority is to hide said object(s) away from one’s living space. In another building or outdoors. Also by making sure to only open said stash when absolutely necessary and by making sure you’re not followed/watched.

1. Jim Sadler says:

Dominion and control define possession. So if you are trying to isolate yourself legally from a stash then it is important for it to not be on your property. Also seizure of private property is not uncommon for certain crimes so your trove won’t be available to you if you are swept up. So you need to hide things in a public space that will not be altered by man or nature over a span of time.
               So all you have to do is worry about people who hunt troves as a very serious hobby or make a living on their finds. There are more people than you can imagine who seek buried treasures of various types and some are a lot more skilled and dedicated than any cops you might be worried about. It is not at all unusual for troves to be recovered quietly with no mention of it ever being made. Apparently burglars who hide items likely to get them convicted in hope that time provides the cover that they need often do not get back to their troves and you may be locating items stolen in crimes in decades gone by.

I’ll bet you’re loads of fun at parties.

4. on tv last week here in Australia, police bust drug dealer, found one stash in top half of hollowed out door

Police always checked the doors as they are common places to hide contraband. Most commonly its hidden behind a mirror that covers a hole to the hollow door, one thing that this has going for it is that its hard to reach so it may be missed, but an officer could just reach the top and feel for any irregularities to the door.

6. what a downer..dont hate appreciate

7. Ned Carter says:

I smell a snitch.

8. Dasha Hawk says:

i hope you get busted for whatever you do thats against the law…..everyone does something illegal…

1. Jon Geler says:

Including yourself. Such as speeding. Go 5 mph over the speed limit! I DARE YOU!

2. Jon Geler says:

9. Yes, lets spend more of our tax money on the tiny quarter sack of weed that can fit in the hole, as if we aren’t in debt enough.

1. leslie estrada says:

How would that be spending tax money?  It’s for a person to hide something they feel is valuable, a personal choice and therefore a personal expense…Let it be….

2. leslie estrada says:

1. Alex Rupert says:

clearly you didn’t read the comment she was replying to.

2. Alex Rupert says:

clearly you didn’t read the comment she was replying to.

3. im pretty sure they were talking about police raids investigating peoples doors. how do you think the cops get paid? bake sales?

10. Aaron says:

“I hope that the police see this and make use of it when searching houses.”

I gotta say, your reply makes you sound like kind of a d*ckbag.

What were you going for with that, anyway? You sound as if you think this post was intended to help people hide heroin from the police or something. I’d say it’s probably intended as, and certainly far more useful for, hiding small important items from potential thieves / snoops.

Aside from the fact that the tone of your comment is ignorantly anti-privacy, anti-freedom, and seemingly in favor of the atrocious “War On Drugs” which has done innumerable amounts of damage to society, it usually takes a bit more than a simple trick like this when trying to stash stuff from the cops. Well, if they have good reason to suspect you, and they’re really intent on finding something, that is. All things considered, though, I suppose you could do worse.

The fact is that most “criminals” who have something to hide in their homes, typically do not “hide” it very well, if at all. And those “serious” criminals who are intent on safely storing contraband, typically know what they’re doing, and rely on tricks considerably more advance than seen here.

Again, I say I’m not sure what the point of your comment was, other than signaling to the world your hatred of privacy and freedom, your love of the police state, and generally overall how much of a deluded, self-righteous ****** you are.

3. I’m a big fan of putting “Easter Eggs” in places you live for future owners / tenants to find. This could be a fun option for doing that. If the door is in part of the house with relatively stable temperature conditions I might even hide a few hot pepper and tomato seeds for future owners to discover. I’m trying to grow Lady apple trees from seed and if they come out well this might be a fun way to hide some seeds in the house for replanting in the distant future.

I wonder what people would think, finding a collection of seeds in a hidden capsule in a door. Should I include a letter explaining what they are, or simply a vague note reassuring them that it’s nothing illegal?

1. Alan says:

I regret not having gotten around to planting any “Easter eggs” back in my apartment-living days. I thought about it several times, but then always seemed to get bogged down in other things and not following through.

As for the apple seeds, you should pick a different plant. Apples don’t breed true from seed. The tree that grows from your Lady apple seeds not only won’t be a Lady, it will most likely yield completely unpalatable fruit.

2. Lexi Hanson says:

Maybe this explains the sea shell I found when I moved in. Leave a note, it seems more purposeful. But maybe write it in the form of a riddle or poem.

1. Cindi says:

Nancy – I’m sorry you have no imagination or vision. Bummer for you !

2. You cared enough to respond.  Even if it was a dumb response.

3. Cindi says:

You could make it like a treasure hunt – hide clues that lead to clues. it might be a good way to preserve some history and/or get uninterested people to replant your seeds. I love it!

4. Yes, you should leave a note explaining! I used to do stuff like this all the time…I always wanted to be the one to find something, though!

5. Yes, you should leave a note explaining! I used to do stuff like this all the time…I always wanted to be the one to find something, though!

4. Cool, I love clever ways to hide things, ha ha

5. Jim Sadler says:

For a better stash that will tend to pass even a police search do not use any metal as a detector can find it. Drill the door’s bottom so that the door must be taken down to open the stash. Use a plastic tube to hold the stash. And plug the drilled hole with a tight fitting wood plug that is painted.
    Also if you have wall to wall carpet you might consider rolling up carpet and drilling a hole and placing the plastic tube into the hole and covering it with a hard epoxy or stucco. Thieves and officials normally do not remove the carpet from a home during a search. Juts make certain that the carpet looks perfectly installed. These are long term storage tricks.

6. vida says:

devious indeed , but will server the purpose

7. ingenious if i had the slightest idea of how to do this i would

8. bet you didn’t know this, but you can also hide your weed in there.

9. deff a movie quote. nobody freak out.

10. anybody give reccomendations for how/what to make from? preferably from things available in UK?

11. Natalie Kelsey says:

Very awesome idea!!!! :)

12. StevenMoore says:

Man- I have like dozen of these spots available- it would of been interesting to do this in my childhood home and then like go back and visit with my kids and see what I could of put in there 30 years ago. Great Idea

13. Grace Noyes says:

What a great idea….. I would never have thought of something like this

14. The cops however do actually think about people hiding things there though… FYI

15. Julie Timsak says:

Hmmm, this is pretty stealth….

16. Layne Mathiesen says:

heh heh, even better than the trick wall outlet I made in high school 20+ years ago,

17. Layne Mathiesen says:

18. it only work if you have a solid door. any ideas for a hollow door?

1.  Thanks for your comment, but you’re mistaken.  The door in the project is a hollow-core door.  It would be a lot harder, actually, with a solid door because you’d have to have a large-diameter drill bit that was as long as the cigar tube, which would not be cheap.  Most hollow core doors have a perimeter frame of solid material (wood or wood composite) that’s about 3.5″ wide.

19. marxdarx says:

Perhaps if you had the skill and the tools, you could make a hidden puzzle box style setup in that spot. All wood. wouldn’t be detectible easily..a quick look would reveal nothing unusual if done right.

Just a thought…might still not work.

20. marxdarx says:

Just a thought…might still not work.

21. marxdarx says:

Just a thought…might still not work.

22. That’s such a clever idea, never thought of it. :)

well its not a secret now is it lol jk i really like this idea and might try it out soon

24. Tobias Prell says:

How the hell did you get a romeo y julieta cigar cylinder? I thougt you don’t get cuban cigars in the US.

I would just use it for the emergency $10 for when you really really need it… and the couch and the kitchen drawer are empty, and the poodle needs dinner and you need chocolate and it’s 11.30pm & $3.55 is too little to put on a card… and a good place to hide your stick with all that really really important (not) stuff on it. How about love letters? wound ever so tight  – they couldn,t breathe so they would suffocate anyway….no just money and sticks. Drugs would be too obvious – and of course you would be paranoid wouldn’t you….?

27. Madison Roby says:

First of all, where do you get the container, and second of all, where do you get he door?

28. Ruth Lopez says:

what if there is a fire?

29. damneardone says:

Arrrggh… but you gotta remember to OPEN the door when trying to get at the stash… Ahh, F it, too much to remember, I’ll just put it under the couch, nobody’ll think to look there!

30. [...] Make: Projects – Doortop Stash [...]

31. [...] Make: Projects – Doortop Stash [...]

32. Cody says:

This is not a new idea. Immigrant tenets at the turn of the 20th century frequently utilized this idea. In solid older doors you can occasionally find “wallet holes” where the door was carved out big enough to hide a wallet. Found a few in Chicago myself.

1. Sean Michael Ragan says:

Never intended to represent it as such. In fact, as I recall, I first read about in one of the old Loompanics books.

33. [...] Make: Online | Make: Projects – Doortop Stash [...]

34. [...] USB Sticks vor _irgendwem-der-eventuell-euer-Haus-durchsuchen-darf-da-er-euch-einen-Zettel-zeigt-der-nach-einem-richterlichen-Beschluss-aussieht_ in einer Tür verstecken: http://blog.makezine.com/2011/03/11/make-projects-doortop-stash/ [...]

35. Arman Erfanfar says:

:-)

36. kulundra says:

Reblogged this on kulundra.

37. [...] You can read more about this DIY hidden storage project here. [...]

38. […] and anything relatively small and you can stash away some extra cash to save for a rainy day. Via: Makezine Share on Facebook […]