Fans of Patrick McGoohan’s classic BBC spy series The Prisoner will recognize this gimmick from Episode 15, “The Girl Who Was Death.” It’s a pint glass with words etched on the bottom (in authentic “Village” font) that appear line-by-line as the liquid is imbibed. My version is the closest reproduction of the original I could achieve.

I have an old friend who is a rabid fan of the show, and I made her a set of four of these as a gift for her most recent birthday. The stencil art is attached to the project as a PDF, and is available in other popular vector formats from Thingiverse.

Sean Michael Ragan

I am descended from 5,000 generations of tool-using primates. Also, I went to college and stuff. I write for MAKE, serve as Technical Editor for MAKE magazine, and develop original DIY content for Make: Projects.

Comments

funny! cuz its true!!!

well, if your beverage contained alcohol anyway :)

Noooo!
      I though alcohol was a preservative ;)

Also true!

Gets rid of the weak brain cells so it effectively preserves the strong ones!

2. How can you make sure people hold them right-side up and not get “Poisoned  Been Just Have You” (only upside-down)?

1. Well, you could use a mug instead of a glass, and choose the orientation of the mug handle with respect to the text based on whether the person using the mug is right- or left-handed…

3. How can you make sure people hold them right-side up and not get “Poisoned  Been Just Have You” (only upside-down)?  They might think Yoda has just poisoned them…

4. Awesome project! I’m definitely adding this to my list of things to try. Thanks for the write up, Sean!

5. Trey Smith says:

Sean, awesome job!!! I would love to buy a couple of sets of these for friends if you ever make any more.

1. Thanks, Trey, quite belatedly, for your interest.  I did finally manage to get a run of these etched and they are available here:

2. Thanks, Trey, quite belatedly, for your interest.  I did finally manage to get a run of these etched and they are available here:

1. Trey Smith says:

Awesome! Ordered two to start with. May get more… Thanks!

2. Trey Smith says:

Awesome! Ordered two to start with. May get more… Thanks!