This IRONBUDS kickstarter from New Hampshirite Thomas Young is already funded, but it looks like you can still jump on board if you want a set for yourself. I like the idea of modularity to increase repairability, and with the exception of the TRS-jacked earbuds themselves, it looks like all the components could be replaced with off-the-shelf stuff. More details at the newly-funded venture’s newly-created website. [via Hack a Day]

Sean Michael Ragan

I am descended from 5,000 generations of tool-using primates. Also, I went to college and stuff. I write for MAKE, serve as Technical Editor for MAKE magazine, and develop original DIY content for Make: Projects.

Comments

Yes, even more parts to lose!

The ability to replace the driver is a good idea, though. Everything else is only contributing to signal loss from all the connections.

Yes, even more parts to lose!

3. Timothy Gray says:

Modularity means nothing compared to audio quality.  If they are not acoustically better than Senhizer CX880′s they are just a fashon item.

Honestly, I would prefer they make a set of earbuds that replicate the response of a giant set of headphones instead of something pretty.

4. Samuel B. says:

I own a pair of Sleek Audio SA1 headphones, which are rather similar to this design. Wooden phones, replaceable cable. Problem is, their build quality sucks; I’ve been through 3 cables in a year, always fraying in the same place. (The 3.5mm jack.) If IRONBUDS can pull off headphones that are high quality and not terribly ugly, I’ll be interested. Considering that these folks are “manufacturing and design guys”, I’m incredibly surprised to see how ugly and full of failure points the prototypes are.

Here’s an idea. Just give the “buds” the ability to be opened, like a hatch door in the back. Then you could simply solder in any wire you want.