Really? No, really?

Yes, apparently: Really. Instructables community manager mikeasaurus hacked together a plastic soda bottle, the top of an empty spray paint can, and the Schrader valve from a bicycle inner tube to make a homemade aerosol paint container that can be pressurized to 25 psi with a bicycle pump. As the video shows, it does actually work for a minute, or so, but needs repressurizing often.

Nonetheless, a valiant “because its there” sort of DIY project, and even if factory spray paint is easier to use, easier to obtain, and probably even more economical if both time and money are considered, it’s worthwhile to consider what fresh ideas might use this one as a jumping-off point.

More:

Sean Michael Ragan

I am descended from 5,000 generations of tool-using primates. Also, I went to college and stuff. I write for MAKE, serve as Technical Editor for MAKE magazine, and develop original DIY content for Make: Projects.

Comments

1. HAH, with that top picture really made me do a double take!

2. Peter S. May says:

It would be fantastic to see this used as a delivery vehicle for other substances. I think edibles such as cheese-based slurry or chocolate would be prime candidates. Just think—not only can you deface public property; now, you can also make it taste like Cheetos!

1. YES!!! Home-made Cheez Wiz!!!  (What is that stuff anyway?  Isn’t it like flavored oil?)

Awesome! Now he just needs to screw a bike CO2 cartridge onto that schrader valve for unlimited spray!

I’m curious how US pol. will react if this gets popular. We have laws that prohibit the sale of spray paint cans to minors in an attempt to limit graffiti.

That’s not in an attempt to limit graffiti. It’s to prevent kids from huffing paint fumes.
      It’s the same laws that prohibit the sale of “canned air” aerosol dusters to minors.

5. Robert K says:

Liquid chalk version?.

Pair it with a CO2 bike tire inflation kit and you’ll get far longer spray life than a mere 10 minutes.

7. stevepoling says:

I regard this in the same category as a SodaStream CO2 infuser, you don’t do it to replace stuff you can buy in the store, but for stuff you cannot buy in the store. Here’s a DIY aerosol can in which Joe Random Hacker can put something other than Rustoleum.

Hmmm, what might that be? Fox urine to apply to a  Daihatsu Terios just before a Top Gear challenge? Or maybe something to repel as opposed to attract animals? As you said, it is a jumping-off point.

8. Dark says:

I can think of one good use for it; spraying fairly believable streams of fake blood for set decorating.

9. Ramsey Kropp says:

Let me direct you to Milwaukee Sprayer for an American built all-metal version of this that can withstand 200 psi.

They are a great company that really helped me out with some grad school research.