You may have already seen this video — it’s gone viral in the last few days. Miguel Endara drew a portrait of his dad entirely by stippling dots with a Micron pen. When I was into drawing, stippling was my shading method of choice, but this is nuts. And not only did he peck down 3.2 million dots, he counted ‘em, too! Yikes. [Thanks to our awesome Sales Manager Brigitte Kunde for sharing this!]

Miguel Endara

Gareth Branwyn

Gareth Branwyn is a freelancer writer and the former Editorial Director of Maker Media. He is the author or editor of a dozen books on technology, DIY, and geek culture, including the first book about the web (Mosaic Quick Tour) and the Absolute Beginner’s Guide to Building Robots. He is currently working on a best-of collection of his writing, called Borg Like Me.

Comments

1. Andrew Cairns says:

The style is called “pointalism.” It was first developed by Georges Seurat in the 1880s and later employed by van Gough, Pissaro etc. We were taught to do this in high school, although none of us had either the skill or patience to come close to this effort.

1. Gareth Branwyn says:

Pointalism is similar but not exactly the same thing. Pointalism is a style of painting that uses points of color to simulate blends of color. In black and white illustration, it’s usually called stippling.

2. TJ McCue says:

Now, ask him if he wants to take it and engrave it with a Lasersaur or something on a piece of copper or silver or aluminum… It would make an awesome coin, too, that his dad could carry around. Wow.

This is one of the most amazing pieces of artwork that I have ever seen.  I find that artwork is so much easier to appreciate when you can watch what goes into the making of it.  I’d hang that up my my house.

4. Miguel Endara says:

thank you for the wonderful post Make!

5. Computerchi says:

Dude this ridiculous. The image was taken by a flatbed scanner. It was rendered to look like pointalism. A few copies were made with parts of the image unveiled gradually. 3.2 million points my @$$.

This thing has HOAX dotted all over it.

210 hours, yeah right!.

1. Thomas Wyatt says:

I need to stop reacting to comments making statements like that with no proof. it seems unfeasible that he did it, sure. I can certainly see how a scanner might be used to create it, and t does appear to be literally impossible detailed and careful, but that still doesn’t mean it’s fake. Sarcastic comments withheld, it’s unreasonable to accuse something of being fake solely because it appears to be so.

6. James Henriksen says:

3,200,000 / (210 * 60 * 60) = 4.23 points / second

7. James Henriksen says:

3,200,000 / (210 * 60 * 60) = 4.23 points / second

8. Love it!! Tell Jeff I could do this in my  special shoes and still not get them dirty:)

If this is not a hoax, it is an unfortunate portrait choice – making an image that looks like someone placed his face on a scanner or photocopier!