Pi-Pie--69299

By way of sci-fi author and mathenaut Rudy Rucker’s Facebook wall comes this:

One way to remember the first few digits of pi is to count the letters in the words of this phrase:

“How I need a drink, alcoholic of course, after the heavy lectures involving quantum mechanics.”

[Image via FreakingNews]

Gareth Branwyn

Gareth Branwyn is a freelancer writer and the former Editorial Director of Maker Media. He is the author or editor of a dozen books on technology, DIY, and geek culture, including the first book about the web (Mosaic Quick Tour) and the Absolute Beginner’s Guide to Building Robots. He is currently working on a best-of collection of his writing, called Borg Like Me.

Comments

1. Tim says:

Well….if you ever get pulled over and are asked to participate in the road-side olypimcs, you can verify your sobriety this way :-D

2. Russell says:

that was the phrase we were taught by our math teacher at high school in the 70s. i’ve never forgotten the value of Pi even after 35+ years and lots of alcoholic drinks

3. ka1axy says:

I memorized it to 8 places when we had 8-digit calculators. I have to say that memorizing the digits wasn’t all that hard, and I’ve never needed more precision than that. But it’s a neat party trick, I guess.

4. eric says:

I learned the geekier:

Now I sing a silly roundelay
    Of Radial roots and utter ‘lackaday’
    Euclidean results imperfect are, my boy
    Mnemonic arts employ!

That makes me good to 21. Never yet found a use for it!

5. 3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197 39 decimal places and you would never need any greater accuracy, then again creating a circle that encompasses the known universe which is accurate to a hydrogen atoms width is a bit OTT

6. Dru Morgan says:

Key word, “known” Universe. What happens when we learn more about the Universe. What kind of circle will we get THEN, Huh??? Yeah, you didn’t think about that, did you? We would be screwed.

1. Still OTT and as irrational as the number itself :)

7. Karl says:

works great assuming you can spell properly, if you cant spell in your head what good is knowing pi going to do you?

8. I think the best way to remember pi is to start with Tau and divide by 2.

9. Derek says:

“Now I will a rhyme construct, By chosen words the young instruct. Cunningly devised endeavour, Con it and remember ever. Widths in circle here you see, Sketched out in strange obscurity.”