Raspberry Pi Design Contest

RPiDC_MCM-button

If you’re looking for inspiration for your first Raspberry Pi project, look no further than the several dozen projects entered in the first ever Raspberry Pi Design Contest, sponsored by MCM Electronics. All the projects were entered into one of four categories – Artistic, Educational, Enclosure, and Utility – and are now competing for five prize packs, including a Printrbot Jr. 3D printer to be awarded to the grand prize winner.

It’s been just over one year since the initial release of this single-board computer, and already makers have made some incredible projects with it. The Pi is the brain behind multiple home security systems; it is responsible for collecting and displaying data; the Pi has been used as an educational tool for music, mathematics, and geography, among other subjects; artists are building interactive and crowd-sourced installations; enclosures for the Pi range from simple to complex, with all-in-ones emerging as a sub-genre all their own; the Pi can control and automate various systems around the home or office. And so on.

Judges are now reviewing these projects based on their documentation, project success, and unique application. The winners will be announced on or before April 25th. Good luck to all participating makers, and click the button below to view all the projects and their descriptions. Links to each entry can be found after their description if you want to read up more on a specific project.

(Projects are arranged in the order they were received.)

UPDATE: The Winners have been announced – click here to see the winners!

Nick Normal

I’m an artist & maker. A lifelong biblioholic, and advocate for all-things geekathon. Home is Long Island City, Queens, which I consider the greatest place on Earth. 5-year former Resident of Flux Factory, co-organizer for World Maker Faire (NYC), and blogger all over the net. Howdy!

Comments

1. yakimushi says:

1. Could you have put this article into a more terrible format? No, I do not think so.
      Hear Hear. One of the worst formatted web pages ive ever seen. What browser was it tested on or was it tested at all.
      Too painful to browse a pity cos some of the projects look interesting.
      Please fix!!!

1. Reginald Horschack says:

Apparently, ads are more important than content or usability here.

2. Is there anyone at Make who has the least clue as to how to deliver content? Maybe a list of titles with a link and a thumbnail description? This is awful.

3. Adam says:

Can you check this on iPad? The individual pages for each project cut off the description when the image loads.

1. Nick Normal says:

Hi Adam, thanks for your note. Sorry for the cut-off. Will look into this now.

1. Jake says:

Still looks incredibly bad and the result is that it is completely unusable on iPad.

4. Don Stratton says:

There is no way I am sitting through your transparent attempt to show me 40+ advertisements. This is pretty appalling.

5. Chad says:

i like most here seem to think that the delivery of this and ( other content ) on make has gone down the tubes !! — I saw this pop up on my email over the weekend pulled out the ipad and had issues looking at this — put it off and figured that there might be an issue and would check it out in the morning still no go — pulled it up on the google reader — “click here for the link — up come your site then click here to see them all in a sub screen and still have to scroll to see all the info — why not just put it on one long page ( like a forum ) — less add space i guess and we could see all the info!! — this bring me to another put down for me as mak in general — i used to enjoy every morning pulling up the reader and seeing the box full of interesting projects that someone has tinkered on but now its just bloated with adds to buy stuff ( i know you wan to make sales and get folks to buy something ) from the maker store and maker fairs and links to flicker site ( would love for make to maybe contact these folks and get more info on what they did how it was made ) and comments — there used to be cool stuff here i have enjoyed some of the tool reviews and a few of the math mondays — there have been some post on make that have been seen on other tech blogs that are already a week old — i just dont know what happened — i dropped my subscription a few years ago but still pick up a few of the mags along the way if something catches my eye — hope to see a turn around sometime in the future

6. Oy says:

Jesus Christ this website is a dumpster fire. Whoever designed this page should be shot.

7. royhair says:

Agree with all the other comments. Some interesting looking projects, ruined by this popup.
    Why not just have a simple list on one page?

8. developer21 says:

How about a contest to design a webpage that actually lets you see a project or navigate content? I give up. This site is HORRIBLE! No way to effectively navigate or view anything.

9. Daniel Wright says:

If you click on the large group of photos at the top of the page it takes you to actual web pages for the projects. If you tap on the blue bars it gives you the pop up window that everyone is complaining about.

10. davey says:

Do you know if any of those projects are similar to these at least in terms of skill level? http://draalin.com/raspberry-pi-projects/

Trying to figure out which one I should work on. “If” I were to buy a Raspberry Pi

1. Jake says:

Impossible to know…both because this site is unusable, and so is the one you linked to. I feel like I am in the Twilight Zone

1. FFXXChamp says:

Site works perfectly fine for me. Are you using internet explorer or something?

1. Jakeawake says:

iOS, as has been mentioned throughout this thread. Though it sucks o everything. My favorite description of this page is “a dumpster fire”.

2. Brett says:

@Davey, since they are so affordable, you should just get a RasPi … get it up and running … and then start looking for your first of many projects to do. Circling the edge of the pool wondering where the warmest spot is will leave you high and dry xD. I would grab some of the breakout cables right away that adafruit makes as well. Good luck!

11. Jakeawake says:

As others have said…formatting ruins this post. Impossible to read.

12. No problem with reading @laptop Chrome 28.0.1500.72 m

13. awful says:

I gave up… I hope I’ll never have to visit your website again!

14. dh says:

Nice overview and line-up, Nick. You might want to include “Call Mom Button” project in the list.

It’s a Raspberry Pi integration that automatically calls your mom (or anyone else specified in advance) using Plivo APIs, (when you click on the button for the input.)

You can read in full: http://plivo.com/blog/raspberry-pi-project-ideas/

15. Brett says:

Wow, I’ve never seen such a mad mob of people complaining about formatting. I’m sure your complaints are valid from your point of view… but from my end, Laptop, Chrome with AdBlock extension I don’t really see anything I would complain about. I agree Make Magazine should realize many people will be browsing on tablets without adblock (can you really complain about ads though if you chose to use a device with no adblocker?… what do you think magazines are full of? at least they’re not cigarette ads). Sorry to hear this is such a deal breaker for some of you, Make Magazine does have a lot of great content for the maker community. Constructive feedback is the best way to get them to listen to you though. The writers of Make might not have any other easy option than to use the gallery viewer for blogging about 47 unique projects. Something to think about Make.

16. sqageek says:

17. I’m gonna have to agree with several of the comments here, this format must go,. It dosen’t work you have to guess whet to click to see the rest of the article and when you to find the link to the rest of the projects you get a popup window with very little text a picture and rows of link buttons for each item. I realize the “importance” of advertising but there are much much better ways of doing this. Please abandon this type of format (which I have also seen elsewhere on the interwebs) like the plague.